• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to buy an SVT... Is it worth it over modifying a Contour?

S

Sgib2008

I am looking for a sportier economy car. The SVT seems spot on. Now, something this quick, can I get the same out of a base ride without an engine swap or heavy heavy mods?

A buddy of mine had one for a year before it was t-boned and it was easy on gas and sprited... Ideas?

Thanks all.

that's a double edged sword answer:

on the one hand, if your goal is "performance" of an SVT, then you can CLOSELY match it by picking up a V6 base model, grabbing some SVT bits (Upper intake, lower intake, Throttle body, exhaust, etc) from a parted car and be right there, almost.

However, if your goal is SVT looks AND performance, then it is simply cheaper to buy one (at the INCREDIBLY low prices these days) than to purchase the full body kit, interior, gauges, etc..

If you planned on far surpassing stock SVT performance anyway, you'd need a new 3L engine instead of the stock 2.5 and thus you lose a lot of the "SVT"-esque feeling of the car anyway and many Purists will say at that point its no different than a regular Contour. However, I feel that even with a new engine, my SVT is an SVT because of the VIN, and thus I would still choose the SVT even if I planned on a 3L.

My personal response is: the price difference between an SVT and a V6 base model is either SO small or non-existant (I can find an SVT that is CHEAPER than a standard V6 a lot of times) that it doesn't make sense to go the other route, unless you need specific body parts because you already own a standard v6 and want a parts car, etc.

get the SVT..

Check the classifieds forum (directly underneath "common interests") and your local region (southeast, great lakes, etc) forum for their sale ads.

Last edited:
Not sure where you're located but there are plenty of SVT's in the Michigan area. You can pick up an "average" SVT for probably $3K or less. I would say the cleaner, more cared for SVT's are probably closer to $4K.

I too would recommend getting an SVT instead of an base model V6. Let's put it this way...back in the early days when I had my SE still naturally aspirated, I bought both SVT intake manifolds, throttle body, SVT exhaust, BAT intake pipe, and KKM intake. I was putting down 148 whp which is still less than what a stock SVT puts down.

I do remember a guy with a cougar at SZ 02 that had a 2.5L with MSDS headers and y-pipe, SVT intake manifolds, throttle body, exhaust (not sure what kind) and KKM put down 172 whp which is better than most stock SVT's. I would say adding headers is probably a "heavy" modification to most people.

So, lets put it this way...if your looking to do the basic bolt on's like a complete SVT intake system and aftermarket air filter, aftermarket exhaust system, (no headers), and a tune from NPG, I think you can be close to slightly better than a stock SVT. This will probably run you close to a $1000 or more which probably puts you at the cost of an SVT. Of course, this hasn't even touched the suspension, drivetrain, or aesthetics of the SVT. I think the verdict is a no brainer. ;)

just get a svt...they're really cheap these days,you can get them for 1k on up depending on their condition

Buy an SVT from a CEG member. Then you will know that the car has been truly appreciated. There's lots of us who will go and check out a car that someone is interested in but is not in the same area.

Don't buy one on ebay without someone you trust checking it out first.

We bought our second SVT on ebay from a Ford dealer and it was in TERRIBLE shape compared to the pictures and description. We got screwed.

But I love the car anyway. It's got a lot of time and money and elbow grease in it, and even though it's not the fastest or prettiest, it's FUN to drive.

I had a base Contour V-6 ATX one night and it was a dog. 10.4 was the fastest 0-60 I could get (it was a Ford pool car...).

A friend's dad was an LL5 at Ford and one of his leases was a Zetec manual Contour. That thing moved pretty good. Launching it like it was a Ford management lease :laugh:, he gave the '87 Mustang GT Conv. I was driving a decent run.

Whatever you do, get a manual. When Ford dumped the 3200 or so Cougar I-4 ATXs on the market for Ford families after they canceled that program, I thought about getting one of the leases to drive in college ($200/month w/ insurance!) - the Contour I-4 ATX I test drove did a 0-60 in 13.3. No thanks. Based on your initial message, the ATX probably isn't something you're considering anyway.

Buy an SVT from a CEG member. Then you will know that the car has been truly appreciated.
Just to play devil's advocate, I've noticed people have been burned by buying cars based on the good CEG reputation of the seller. There are also some CEG hot potatoes that have gone around over the years. Don't let your defenses down just because the car is sold by a CEG member, no matter how much respect they carry.

The best SVT's come mostly stock from first/second owners whom babied them, imo. If you can, make the extra effort to get one from below the rust belt -- it's really worth it.

To the original question, definitely get an SVT.
The best SVT's come mostly stock from first/second owners whom babied them, imo. If you can, make the extra effort to get one from below the rust belt -- it's really worth it.
Very very good info. here.
-J

i'm going to disagree w/the 1st/2nd rule. 1st owner maybe,but i bought a svt from the 2nd owner and it was worked over pretty good

Just to play devil's advocate, I've noticed people have been burned by buying cars based on the good CEG reputation of the seller. There are also some CEG hot potatoes that have gone around over the years. Don't let your defenses down just because the car is sold by a CEG member, no matter how much respect they carry.

I agree. I would definetly research CEG if you are buying from a member here. Everyone usually posts questions about problems they are having with the car as they own it so you will get a better understanding of the issues associated with it since it has been owned by a CEGr.

The "history" of a SVT here might be better documented here, but not always in better shape than a first/second owner SVT that doesn't have the owner as a member here.

Agreed with Desiato.
Also - research is key, especially for a car this old.
I spent months lurking in the CEG classifieds, local and national, before deciding on a car. Even at that, it was nearly a month of asking questions about the car before I arranged time to meet. The patience (both mine and the seller's) paid off. I can't begin to explain how much it was worth it.

Back