• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sticky Gas Pedal

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
Its seem to be sticking after the car sits, like it sets in. I have thrap the throttle a little to lossen it up. then I pull away. just annoying. I sprayed it with WD-40 no luck still doing it. Is there anyway i can narrow down the problem and make sure its not under the hood. any ideas?

...I sprayed it with WD-40 no luck still doing it. Is there anyway i can narrow down the problem and make sure its not under the hood. any ideas?
Where exactly did you spray? I would spray the gas pedal hinges and "springs",....
.....and then under the hood, the throttle springs and hinges. In addition, fi you have a V6, check to make sure the "moose fix" is not interfering with throttle cable.

Additionally, check the throttle cable itself going in to the TB under the hood for fraying, which would cause it to bind/pinch.

Thirdly (firstly, in my mind) I would clean the TB itself. Carbon buildup around the plate's outer rim will cause it to "stick" that first press, then feel free for a while.

My 2000 SVT does the same thing after sitting. Generally I just give the throttle a blurp as soon as i start it up and its fine.

I wouldnt be surprised if the TB is dirty. I dont think the original owner ever did a UIM/LIM cleaning.

Yeah, Im throwing a P1518 so that might be the problem for me as well. You guy dont think its the pedal itself right? would that be uncommon?

Most of the time a sticking throttle is from a dirty throttle body. Try cleaning it.

+1

I had this exact problem. Cleaned the throttle body and found a ridge where the would stick. Scrubbing that off made the gas a smooth as can be! Pretty easy to do too!

Back