• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

99 Broken Contour options

mityaz

New CEG'er
Hey guys! First of all, happy holidays for all of you!

Ok, so basically i need an advice on what to do with my contour. Its a 99 v6 se. i did a few things to it: 2.5" stainless manifold-back exhaus, lowered 2.5"(the cheap way with ebay springs), high flow air intake, 5% in the back and 20% in the front professional tint, konig prophet 18" rims, full color LED underglow. I had the car for almost 4 years now. A few days ago it started to develop a very quiet tick at certain rpms. But as time progressed, the tick became more obvious and at a wider rpm range. I think (pretty positive) its the rod bearings. So i have a delemma: what do i do with the car?

i have options:
1. junk it and get the most money i can out of it (its prolly gona be like $300, if even that)
2. part it out and junk the rest
3. fix it for $1700 (thats how much a used engine and installation will cost).
4. rebuild the engine (very labor intensive and expensive)

I would sell the car anyways in a few months because of the insurance costs (i will ride my sweet zx6r!) so id really rather do option 1 and 2. And living in an apartment in NYC, i do not have any means of installing the engine myself (even though i saw some pretty cheap engines in the range of 400-600 on ebay).
So can you guys please give me your input on what to do and the consequent financial gains/losses im will face.

the car is currently on ebay item number 260337945630
thanks guys

considering the shape of it i'd say sell the whole car. car looks like it's in pretty good shape. If you wasn't so far away i'd look at it.

There has to be someone on this forum close to you that can do a 2.5 or 3.0 swap for close to a grand and you could keep it.

I believe there are quite a few CEG members close who would tackle it. ( Easy for me to say in Illinois ).

Repaired it is worth more than the motor would cost.

canany of you give me some contact info of people that can do this kinda stuff around here?

keep those ideas coming

Rods usually knock not tick

Rods usually knock not tick

If it is a rod, it will knock (dull thudding sound) and be worse under acceleration. If you tick does not get worse under acceleration, then it is likely something else. The V6 experts ought to weigh in here, but you might not have the catastrophic problem you think you have.

i agree with crewchiefpro. drop a 3.0L in it. you can find them with very low miles for about 400-500ish.

Then take it to Aircougar in MA. like uberthecat said. they know alot about thses cars and have amazing prices. i think to do a 3.0L motor swap is about $750? Then sell your 2.5 at least for scrap metal.. youll get something for it which is better than nothing.

Back