• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Gauge/Tach/Temp/Gas Calibration!!!! HELP!

qbcsvt

Hard-core CEG'er
I recently done my cars gauges and pulled off all my needles for all the gauge cluster information.

Putting everything on seems like it is NOT calibrated. Except to me trying to put everything back on by hand.

Is there a way to put everything into a diagnostics mode or reset everything?

Like autometer gauges and calibration!

- amyn

if you have a OBDII scan tool and buddy with one. let the car warm up and fill the tank. Then use the scan tool to know RPM, speed and engine temp and press the needles back in.

i would strongly suggest doing the speed needle on an empty street for safety.

gas set when it is full. rpm can be done with the engine at idle, confirm with a scan guage. temp guage again amke sure car is warmed up and check with a scanner, although the guage isn't calibrated per say so you could put it where you want when its up to temp. for the speedo you will need someone to help you. again use a scan tool or gps to set a speed with cruise control and set the needle. maybe put the front end on jackstands and with a scan tool let it idle and see what the speed it and set the needle. then check with gps, etc

If you jackstand front end, do it at the LCA, if front suspension not weight loaded, the oddball angle can tear up axle joints. They don't normally run at the angle they end up at when car jacked up in air.

I should be getting a XCAL 3 soon. Will this do the trick as the scan tool to help me put everything back together in a safe and pretty accurate manner???

- amyn

I should be getting a XCAL 3 soon. Will this do the trick as the scan tool to help me put everything back together in a safe and pretty accurate manner???

- amyn

yes. using live link you will be able to monitor rpm, coolant temp and speedo via the pcm and the obd port.

yes. using live link you will be able to monitor rpm, coolant temp and speedo via the pcm and the obd port.

What is the live link? Is this just a function on the XCal3 as I did not receive it yet and will be getting it sometime in January. Or is it the screen that mounts on the dash and such and works by itself. I maybe confusing myself with the "LiveWire" or "DashScan Data Monitor/Performance Scanner" both parts are in Tuning and Engine Management on NPGs website!

- amyn

live link is software that you can get from sct and it it used to connect your xcal to your laptop. the software allows you to monitor and log parameters through the pcm. this is how you will datalog the car for NPG to dial in the tune.

Is this software provided with the Xcal 3 or is it something I have to purchase? Cause I have the laptop and the wire to the laptop should be relatively cheap!

I need to speak to Joey about this as well to see what he can do for me...

- amyn

Livewire is software.. it is free from the SCT website.

you have, basically, three things that you use:

CAR (OBD-II port)
XCAL(2, 3, etc)
Laptop

Using the car and the XCAL alone you can check codes, modify a BASIC set of variable by +-10% or so, upload a tune file that happens to be stored on the xcal already and that's it.

Using the Xcal, car and a LAPTOP (which requires software to interact with the XCAL realtime..) you can then datalog, see any parameter the car's OBD system can, etc, etc.

the xcal2 uses a standard usb cable to connect to a computer and it comes with one. as ray noted the software is free and you can get it from SCT. I have been using live link 3 but version 4 is out there also. i think I read on the sct forums (where you can find the software) that some where having issues with version 4 so I never upgraded.

also don't forget the xcal will have some things that you can adjust when you want but you will still need a good tune, which NPG is great at, to start with.

I used my Apexi to figure out engine rpm. I also removed the pin that keeps the speedometer needle from dropping too low and placed the needle back on where "0 mph" would be. Then replaced the pin and let the needle rest on it as usual.

Back