• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trans fluid leak

jdm

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have a '99 Mystique LS with the V6 and automatic transmission. I have a minor fluid leak coming from my transmisson. The main control cover gasket appears to be coming out with fluid leaking past it. The main control cover is the forward most part of the transmission on the vehicle and it has about 13 bolts holding the cover to the transmission. Does anyone know if it is possible to remove this cover and replace the gasket without removing the transmission?

It can be done, but that with the zetec. If you remove enough of the wires and such above it. Then it should be possible. Be EXTREMELY careful. the valve body is on the other side, you do not want anything to get in there. :help:

That is the Oil pan for the CD4E, they just rotated it to the side for some reason.

While in there, keep it clean, clean, cleaner than clean. I don't mean fluid, talking about added in dirt during maintenance. A/C accumulator may get in the way, it can be unbolted to move it. There is NO FILTER in there to be changed, filter is buried internal in trans and does not change except at rebuild time.

Back