• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

now I get codes 0171 and 0174

johnd

New CEG'er
Hi
I had that idle issue a few days ago and I cleared the codes.Today it came back with only 2 codes.The idle is still poor especially when cold.Fluctuates from 500 to 2000 and the car dies if it's not warmed up.
thanks
John

Most probably massive vacuum leak.

Look for a broken hose, improperly installed air filter housing or accordian tube.

Edit. From TSB.

The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The code is set when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit.

Fuel System:
· Contaminated fuel injectors
· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump, filter, fuel supply line restrictions)
· Vapor recovery system (VMV)

Induction System:
· MAF contamination
· Air leaks between the MAF and throttle body
· Vacuum leaks
· PCV system concern
· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
· Leaking gasket
· Stuck EGR valve
· Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S
· Secondary air concern

Powertrain Control System:
· PCM concern

Thanks for the tips.I looked at it but could not find any vacuum leaks.
I can hear a sound (like a vacuum leak) from the passenger side ,inside the engine compartment but I cannot locate it.
I found a crack on one of the lines that comes from the accordion and got really excited.I taped it but no change.
John

98 V6 2.5l 141 000km

...I can hear a sound (like a vacuum leak) from the passenger side ,inside the engine compartment but I cannot locate it....
Could be Y-pipe or one of the exhaust manifolds. Look under the car.

To be more precise I can hear this sound not from inside the car ,but with the hood opened.Should I use some throttle cleaner to detect the vacuum leak ?
Also is sensor safe brake cleaner OK to clean the MAF ?
thanks again

Snug up the intake manifold bolts just a bit & consider getting new intake manifold gaskets - if needed. Happens every year with a bunch of cars when the weather gets colder. There are no less than 3 posts about this issue RIGHT NOW. There will not doubt be more as the weeks drag on.

Yeah, I am one of the "other 3 posts" about this. I can hear a "leaking" or "hissing" sound from the passenger side of the engine (under the hood) too. Just can't locate it.

If you figure anything out, please post it, and I will do the same. I may try to just tighten down the manifold a little to see if that helps. If so, it will be new gaskets for me...

Oh, I used carb cleaner like crazy yesterday trying to find it with no luck, but the manifold gaskets aren't the easiest to spray completely around as the manifold itself is a bit in the way.

I tried to spray some cleaner under the intake manifold.Seemed to have found something but then the car started to run almost perfect.I will tighten the bolts and post the results.How big a job is to change the manifold gaskets ?

Yah i was gonna say manifold Gaskets.
They are fairly easy, its just the accesories bolted to the manifolds that a PITA

How much a PITA is to tighten the bolts on the intake manifold.It appears to be 2 manifolds one of them below the other.
thanks

How much a PITA is to tighten the bolts on the intake manifold...
Read the posted link. Then determine if it is something you are comfortable with. If it appears too hard for you, send to an indy or dealer. They will probably charge 2 to 3 hours labor. It is hard for us to say how hard or easy it is. Ray or Todras have done it enough times to be able to complete it in 1/2 hour. Does that mean you can do it in that time too? Maybe, maybe not. ;)

I had the same exact 2 codes 1 month ago when I was desperately trying to get the car inspected.

Finally gave up and took it to a shop. The Vacuum tubes on top of the engine (the two long skinny black ones) were apparently leaking where they connect to the metal UIM. They sealed it and the car passed emissions because my CEL turned off.

I would check those.

Back