• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Weather - Rear Struts Losing Support?

Oddly, they have some more-expensive ones listed under "Shocks" on the same suspension page of their online catalog. I assume those are really struts because there aren't any shocks otherwise except for what's contained in the struts. But why would they be in a separate category?

I have K Y B's on mine with stock style aftermarket springs I have no problems:cool:

water pipe heat tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

water pipe heat tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heh since your retired like me you should have plenty time to experiment? You guys have to heat the engines in winter don't why not the struts?????:rolleyes:
Why retire up north or is that your original home area -- family and such? I had to friend from high school that was Major at the time 80's just luved it up there,but he was a big into hunting and was involved with Delta force
. Seems like last month our weather guys where telling us how much warmer you folks than here?
The cold is so much tougher on vehicles in the north country you would think they could design them better just for the cold? I keep hearing oh it's not bad if your prepared Yes I can agree but on my early forced retierd phoneman budget!!!:rolleyes:
All the best hope your enjoying each and everyday for what it is?
Paul
N8BUU

OP said "wheel-well is down over the top of the tire" so sounds like a broken spring. Strut cannot hold ride height as Scorpion8 said, only rebound dampening. Should be making some noise now also.

Can check it by jacking car and lifting that wheel off the ground. Then lift up on wheel. If spring is broken you will have a inch or so of movement before spring starts to compress.

BINGO!

Broken springs is a known problem and should be checked out.

Why retire up north or is that your original home area -- family and such?

I got assigned up here for the USN. The day I drove my truck up the ferry ramp I realized I was never leaving. It feels like home, and it has become home. That was 13 years ago. It's isolated for sure, but all with isolation becomes many less of societies ills.

Broken springs is a known problem and should be checked out.

I haven't done the check, but the springs will be replaced when the struts are replaced anyway, I've already decided. I've already been eyeballing and pricing everything I need once the snow and ice is off the driveway.

As far as the rear strut mounts, anybody have any opinion which brand is the best? Moog, Monroe, TeamFordParts OEM?

Back