• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Defrost, lights, and wipers

ThNdFrSpd

CEG'er
Here is my problem, in my Mystique the rear defrost is not functioning (no defrost happening and indicator light doesn't come on), when you get in the car, start it, and drive away, the interior lights in the bottom corners of the door do not turn off (I turned off the overhead dome light but they would stay on too if i set them to the 12 sec position) and to top it all off my windshield wipers do not work at any intermittant position. :cry:

I have looked in the old forums and found some information on seperate occurances like these and tried some things but so far no luck.

My hunch is that the central timer unit is malfunctioning but if anyone has any knowledge to share about this problem I would be very :)

My car is a '98 V6 ATX Mercury Mystique LS

Also I don't know if this would change anything, but my Air conditioning doesn't work.

Last edited:
I would suspect the CTU as you do. There is a test that you can do to determine the functional status of a CTU.. You should search the forums for "CTU test" or "Central Timer Unit", etc..

I think you've got it more under control than you think you do.

That test was one of the things I tried before and nothing happened. Just tried it again for kicks and again nothing. Looks like I need to find myself a CTU I guess.

Thnx for your input.

"nothing happened"... you mean the test PASSED... or you can't tell if the test even took place?

well, if you didn't get a chime or whatever it says in the test description that it was happening I would certainly suspect either a CTU, or power to it.

Well its fixed.
It was the Central Timing Unit. The funny thing is I never had to buy another one. My dad said we should take it out just to look and see what exactly it was and then I put it back in and just out of curiousity tried the wipers and defrost. Everything is fixed and it didn't cost me a penny save for a burned out bulb on the drivers side door from the light being on so long.:shrug:

Well its fixed.
It was the Central Timing Unit. The funny thing is I never had to buy another one. My dad said we should take it out just to look and see what exactly it was and then I put it back in and just out of curiousity tried the wipers and defrost. Everything is fixed and it didn't cost me a penny save for a burned out bulb on the drivers side door from the light being on so long.:shrug:
This sounds like an electrical issue with the fuse wire holder. Be prepared for the issue to return.

Check wiring on top of Passenger Compartment Fuse Box left of steering column under the dash.

And read this thread about the fuse holder.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=1056473&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

Back