• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

insurance question?

CRGkart44

Is Cruising For A Bruising
i was out at target shopping.... a little more than halfway out of the spot some dumb ass hit my sweet Isabell. And drove away to find a spot. After finding a spot she came to talk to me. said the sun blinded her... HAHA.:mad:

well... didnt know what to do because there were no dents and VERY slight scratches that you had to look for to find. she wouldnt give me her info so i left. stupid me:mad:. i got her plate, thats it. my dad looked at my car... and he knew what to look for and found the trunk, rear quarter, and bumper didnt line up very well.

now im stuck with a civilan accident report and the trooper is giving her a hit and run ticket.:) But im still stuck with bdy panels that dont line up.. will her insurance cover it?

Her insurance will likely cover it...and I'm thinking her insurance will drop her for the hit and run charge.

although i left the seen and called the police after... she will still cover the damage?

and she deserves her insurance to drop her coverge

You left the scene because she denied you her insurance information. So you got the plate and went home since no parties were injured and the vehicles were driveable. Then you called the police to file a report.

Seems like you did the right thing to me.

Thats about exactly what happened.

thanks...

im just pissed and worried... bc the cops werent called right then because it didnt seem like any damage... untill my dad saw it and was like... "oh... this isnt good.. your car maybe totaled if the frame it damaged or bent.. there is also an annoying squeek in my car now

You left the scene because she denied you her insurance information. So you got the plate and went home since no parties were injured and the vehicles were driveable. Then you called the police to file a report.

Seems like you did the right thing to me.

well said :)

You left the scene because she denied you her insurance information.

At that exact moment you should have called the police to file an accident report. They can match paint flakes on her bumper to your car to validate your story. Driving away makes it all that much harder to verify the whole story and she can deny it.

At that exact moment you should have called the police to file an accident report. They can match paint flakes on her bumper to your car to validate your story. Driving away makes it all that much harder to verify the whole story and she can deny it.

yeah... i realized that now. it was my first accident, and didnt know what to do. i know i shoiuld have but i called my mom.. and she said dont worry about it because there were no dents or real scratches. but i now realize that my body panels dont line up and whatnot. But again, i got the plate number and target has it on tape

While that's true, and even if it is 2008...not everyone has a cell phone.

It doesn't matter if the vehicles were drivable. But, it does matter if you told her there was damage and she refused to cooperate. In a parking lot, it is private property and citations are normally not issued when a crash occurs.

You should have called the police as soon as she refused to give you her insurance information. You won't make that mistake again. ;)

Did she hit you on the passenger side or driver's side?

Did you tell her that you had no damage? How did your conversation go? You: "Hey, you hit my car"...
Her: "No, I'm not giving you my information."
Then she walked away? Explain a bit please, tell me more about the conversation.

The main thing that you have going for you is the fact that she said the sun blinded her. Dumb thing to say on her part but good for you. :)

Not to be a downer but her insurance co. may try to fight this. *fingers crossed that they won't* We all know how insurance companies can be. Did the officer speak with her yet? Have you gotten her insurance info?

When you call to file the claim, keep it simple! State what happened, the she drove away and then came to find you, that she refused to provide her insurance info, etc. They may try to make it sound like you had fault so pay attention when they ask you questions to clarify things, think before you answer!

Moral of the story: Always call the police if you think there is ANY kind of damage or someone refuses to give you the insurance information. She might have also admitted to the officer that the sun blinded her and that would have strengthened your case. Got a camera on your cell phone? Take a quick picture of the vehicles before they are moved to show the position of them.

She'll also probably fight the citation she got. Be prepared to have to go to court.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:eek:damn stupid drivers ,cant have anything nice:nonono::cry:
At least you got the plate number if nothing else when our Mystique was totaled by a hit and run driver I had nothing to go on but I did call the police and they did file a report so things went a little smoother but my insurance company did treat us good (mostly) and gave us what the car was worth (mostly) shure hope things work out for you

I don't know how NY works, but with PA no-fault, if you have collision insurance (not just liability) YOUR insurance will cover your car and then go after her company.

I have to disagree with something Christine said, If you think the damages are worth the trouble, GET A LAWYER, DO NOT talk to the insurance company. Never volunteer any information. Keep your answers short and to the point. Write everything down and get names of anyone you talk to.

FYI if there is ever an accident with injuries, first GO TO THE HOSPITAL even if you think there is nothing wrong. Spinal injuries can take months to show any symptoms. Keep a diary of any aches and pains you may have. Don't try to be brave and live with the pain. Go to the doctor.

I say this through experience. I was in an accident and didn't do what I said. My final settlement was a lot less than it would have been. Also I have an insurance license in PA.

to LUCA.. the conversatoin was more or less like this..

"WTF.... you hit me!!!"
"i did... i though that was my brakes"
"no... you hit me.. and then drove away!!!!"
"oh there isnt any damage"
"dont you see those scratches?!"
"look, you can rub them off"
"wow, hows your car, huh?"
"fine, i looke at it. and there isnt any damage."
i go look.
"Look, there is a scratch right there dumbass"
"but it rubs off"
"i would like your information"
"are you really going to make a big deal out of this?"
"yeah, i guess i am... you hit me"
"well, the sun blinded me, and i had the right of way, you were in a parkins spot"
"i really wasnt, i was going VERY slow for this reason, and was mostly out of the spot."
"But the sun blinded me. lets go look at your car again"
we go look.
"i have scratches and scuffs all over it"
"yeah... but the rub out... its not a big deal"
"i still think i should have your info"
"but there really isnt any damage"
blah blah... then she goes shopping

umm... for more detail, she hit my rear passanger side bumper and quarter panel and it was only the front right side of her bumper that had a almost no damage, but it was there.

and to SVT2000...
I only have liability because im a college kid and need to save money... i think collision was about 50 or more a month and i couldnt afford it. But this really doesnt have anything to do with my insurance... i mean she hit me. Clearly hit me. Even the head security at target said so (they have it on tape)

someone said to get out and take pics.. well i couldnt because she drove away before i got out of my car.

But again... my first incident. and i learned my lesson to call right away, not matter what.

Thanks everyone. Im taking it to a body shop in a few minutes to have them look at it. I have a feeling the frame is bent because there is now an annoying squeek on the driver side... and ther panels dont line up in the rear. But ill def post right when i get home.

there really isn't a "frame" in the traditional sense due to it being a unibody construction...should be fixable..

yeah...

well... i took it to a body shop... and there is $600 worth in damage..

not as bad as i thought. They said the body panels not lining up is factory slop.

But still $600 is a lot. hopefull i can just fix the clips myself and pocket the rest.

do you have any pics of the damage so we can help fix it over the internet:shrug::rolleyes:

Back