• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

where can you find performance specs on cars?

Ive found wikipedia to be a convienent source for basic info, but its not as indepth as it could be sometimes.

try out this:

DragTimes.com

and that is a list of either stock OR modified vehicles.. only ONE listing that will be beating an SVT no matter what. (and that is only if the SVT remains stock.)

others are "close" ties. but the majority (read: stock?) are WAY off

Also, this list shows the previous year running a 15.9, and that is what the "official" specs are, not "real world" (kinda like our officials put us at 15.2-15.4, and real world is more like 15.9-ish with your average driver.http://www.albeedigital.com/supercoupe/articles/0-60times.html

Last edited:
Some of these cars you wonder why people bother, a kia sophia, a 80's toyota camery, got to love the blistering 20 second quarter miles.

If that is the 2.7L in the Stratus RT, then you can laugh at him for buying one of the crappiest engines on the market for reliability. Tell him to get on the waiting list for a new engine, because when his goes, he will have a hard time finding another! I called a couple places and there is a waiting list because the 01-06 2.7L Stratus engines are crap!

That is just my opinion, along with many mechanics whom I have spoken with about that engine!

Jeff

There was a HUGE database I found when finding things to search for when I first started getting into the addictive series of tubes...

I saved the entire list and turned it into one big HTML file... I'll upload it now and post a link.

Don't think it covers 04 cars, but it has A LOT of older cars.

OK, so I uploaded two files... they are HUGE, so open in a new window and let it sit for a bit!

Car Tests - 885KB HTML

Each manufacturer is sorted alphabetically, with each model tested in it's own row. Each column is broken down into the following items, if applicable:
  • Automobile Description - Manufacturer/Model/Trim/Year
  • EngineDisp - Engine size in Cubic Centimeters (CCs, with 1000cc's in 1L)
  • EngineLoc - Location of the engine, (F)ront, (M)id, (R)ear
  • EngineType - (N)aturally aspirated, (T)urbocharged, (S)upercharged
  • HP - Horsepower/PS
  • HP-RPM - Maximum RPM of said HP/PS
  • Torque - Maximum Torque (lb/ft)
  • TorqueRPM - RPM of said Torque
  • CompRatio - Compression Ratio
  • Redline - Engine's redline in RPM
  • Gears - Number of forward gears
  • Trans - Transmission, (A)utomatic or (M)anual
  • 1st - 1st gear ratio in "x:1"
  • 2nd - 2nd gear ratio
  • 3rd - 3rd gear ratio
  • 4th - 4th gear ratio
  • 5th - 5th gear ratio
  • 6th - 6th gear ratio
  • AxleRatio - Rear end/Final Drive ratio
  • DrivWhls - Drive Wheels, (F)ront, (R)ear, (A)ll
  • Weight - Curb Weight
  • WtDist - Weight distribution percentage of the front (subtract this from 100 for rear)
  • Whlbse - Wheelbase in inches
  • TireSectWidth - the "215" in 215/45-17
  • WheelDiam - the "17" in 215/45-17
  • TireProf - the "45" in 215/45-17
  • Cd - Drag Coefficient rating of car
  • Height - Height of the car in inches
  • Width - Width of the car in inches
  • GrndClr - Ground clearance of the car in inches
  • 0-60 - 0-60MPH in seconds
  • 1/4mile - 1/4mile (1350ft) in seconds
  • EPAmpg - EPA combined city/highway MPG
  • LatAcc - G-Force on a skidpad
  • Slalom - Slalom speed in MPH
  • LapTime - Lap time speed (unknown distance) in MPH
  • Top Speed - Top speed of car in highest gear in MPH
Here's the "1997" Contour SVT (might have been Goonz's car!):
Code:
Automobile Description EngineDisp EngineLoc EngineType HP HP-RPM Torque TorqueRPM CompRatio Redline Gears Trans 1st  2nd  3rd  4th  5th  6th  AxleRatio DrivWhls Weight WtDist Whlbse TireSectWidth WheelDiam TireProf Cd Height Width GrndClr 0-60 1/4mile EPAmpg LatAcc Slalom LapTime Top Speed 
FORD CONTOUR SVT 1997      2544      F         N       195 6625    165    5625      10.0     6800     5    M    3.42 2.14 1.45 1.03 0.77 0.00   4.06      F       3270    63   106.5       205        16.0       55   .32  54.5   69.1   8.2   7.85  15.84   21.0  0.859   60.6   190.2     143.7

Wow, that took for-freaking-ever to get the spacing right... wish I could just make a table... damn HTML being disabled :mad:

Wanna see how old that file is?
Code:
<META NAME="GENERATOR" CONTENT="Mozilla/4.06 [en]C-gatewaynet  (Win98; I) [Netscape]">

Yep, the old Netscape HTML editor is what I joined the sections together with!

I have no idea where the data came from (probly Manufacturer), and I can't find a site with this info anymore, so yeah...

Here's the other file... not as impressive, but still cool:

Car Reference - 223KB HTML - Allows you to cross reference a car if you know the model, but not the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I've always thought it would be fun to figure out what cars have the best horsepower to price ratio, or 0-60 to price ratio.

I've found edmunds.com to have a decent amount of general information on the car. Usually I'm looking at cars that aren't brand new, so I just click on used cars, then click on research price and specs. Then you drill down through the makes and models to the one you're looking at(it's nice as it breaks it out by submodel and different engine sizes once you've picked the model). On the left under vehicle features you should see a "Specifications" link. Click that and you can usually get accleration(0-60), braking index, engine size, horsepower, torque, curb weight, turning circle, max horsepower rpm. All sorts of good info. And they've got data on cars going back like 15 years. Definitely a good place for just basic performance info. One thing they don't have is 1/4 mile times which sometimes is interesting to know. But you can google and usually find those pretty easily.

EDIT:
04' Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe http://www.edmunds.com/used/2004/dodge/stratus/100288830/specs.html
00' Ford Contour SVT http://www.edmunds.com/used/2000/ford/contoursvt/892/specs.html

Just looking at hp the cars are dead even(unless you're running any kind of mods or you've got the 98' Tour and you're only pushing 195hp) The Contour's got a slight weight advantage, about 80lbs. But the Dodge has more torque, and it's a newer car so its probably still making close to the 200 ponies it came with from the factory. I think it would be a close race, but I think with the extra torque and the fact that his car is newer he'd take you. Now if your car was modded a bit, say exhaust, intake, you'd probably shut him down, but it'd still be close. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
Edmonds.com Specs- "Stock" R/T 200HP, 205Trq. and Curb Weight 3206lbs V.S. "Stock" CSVT 200HP, 170Trq. and Curb Weight 3126. Countour Weights a lil less but the R/T's 35FPT is quite a bit more. Could be a Drivers Race...

Has anyone seen WHERE it makes that "extra" power?

Peak HP/TQ means nothing unless you are on a dyno.
Power under the curve is what will win you a race.

Edmonds.com Specs- "Stock" R/T 200HP, 205Trq. and Curb Weight 3206lbs V.S. "Stock" CSVT 200HP, 170Trq. and Curb Weight 3126. Countour Weights a lil less but the R/T's 35FPT is quite a bit more. Could be a Drivers Race...

seeing how it's a mitsu engine...

I can already smell the inflated horsepower and torque numbers the japanese are
for....

This post is a couple day old but Oh well.You can take my word for it or not but one of my close friends has an 04 stratus R/T Intake and exhaust,manual transmission.He is a pretty good drive(he knows how to launch with out spinning the tires to much)and he puts down anywhere from 16.0-15.7.For some reason these cars suck,I think dodge overrated them and marketed them with the special "R/T".Anyways he is gettin rid of it,because of the lack of performance.

Back