• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Steering Wheel

Mask everything! I think you might want to do a few simple thngs first like remove the lower cover panel below the steering column, remove the steering column top and bottom trim. Did I say mask everything.... then make sure you have the wheel clean and free of all oils, silicone, etc, otherwise you will get fish eyes. Paint it with several light coats allow drying in between as recommended by the manuf. Did I mention mask everything???? Maintain the proper temp..... allow proper drying time and a bit more. Oh ya and mask everything..

Why not just pop the wheel off?

my 2 cents

no i wouldn't paint the seats obviously i'll get them re-done..how would i pop the wheel off?

don't paint, please just remove the leather. Would you paint your seats? Come on now.

This is a very good point. Even with the best paint / leather color the issue is that within a year or two it will start to wear and then look bad. Replacing the leather is a much better solution.

my 2 cents

what kind of paint would you use for that?

if you are fixed on coloring your steering wheel then I'd say one of the SEM products for leather / Vinyl is one of the better ones IMO.

I once did my seats in a 62 Austin-Healy Sprite with that product and they wore well.

Back