• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake Light Woes

...Also, I can hear a little clicking noise randomly coming from under the glove box, like some kind of relay is clicking on, then off again. Don't know if this is related, but thought id throw it out there.
Not related. That is probably the blower "wheel" or motor. Don't worry about it until the blower or motor stops functioning.

Last edited:
anyone know of any area i could check for a bad ground? From what i can immediately see, there doesnt seem to be a problem. I really wanna see if i can do this before taking it in for someone else to figure out.

anyone know of any area i could check for a bad ground?....
For all accessories, there should be a black (or similar, i.e, black/white, or black/yellow....) wire coming out. It should lead to a metallic spot or another black wire.

ok took the car up to the auto parts store today:

Used a voltmeter. It should be using about 12 volts when lit up, right? I was getting a reading of no higher than 1 volt.

Guy there recommended swapping out the socket. I took off the clips, and switched them. Driver side still worked fine. Even tried both bulbs, and drivers side is fine.

I traced the black wire around. It appears to go into the bundle that goes under the back seat, which led me to that other thread.

I could not see any areas where the wiring was damaged due to the seat folding. So this leads me to think the problem is further up the line, since the bulb is not getting the full 12 volts.

Where else, maybe in the engine compartment, would the brake wires lead to?

i dont think the brake switch would fix it, because it still doesnt light with the hazards or turn signals??

Did you check your blinker fluid, maybe it's low.... :) lol just kidding, needed some comic relief. I'll see if I can find some wiring diagrams for you if I have time.

on my 96 contour, i had a problem where both my outside break lights would not work, but my middle one would work. changed fuses, bulbs, everything, finally tracked the problem down to my turn signal switch in the steering column being bad..

ok still havent figured anything out, but...

today i get in the car, and it wont start. Battery is dead. Its an Optima red top, fairly new, so no prob. Just had my roommate jump it with cables.

Im just about positive that i didnt leave anything on when i left the car, and i havent started it up in about 2 days. Could there be some kind of electrical problem thats draining power, somehow connected with the brake light problem?

.... Could there be some kind of electrical problem thats draining power, somehow connected with the brake light problem?
Yes, maybe some sort of cross feed somewhere. You need to probe the brake light wiring with your DVOM.

FYI:
I just ran wiring for the power radio antenna so perhaps this will be helpful.
The wiring for the rear lights runs along the rear panel under the plastic trim then T's and goes down on the drivers side of the trunk bottom in a channel on the left side of the spare tire location. At the back of the rear seat it turns down and runs in to the chase along the body under the door sill trim to the front kick panel. Really the only place, unless you might have been making changes to something, that the wiring is accessible to damage is in the trunk bottom. I suppose that if you have the folding rear seat then it is possible that a pinch point at the left hinge could have happened, but that is remote.

Could be an issue with the turn signal, or hazard switch ? I would think these since it is only one light going out. If it were the headlight, or brake light switches I would think it would affect both right and left side lights.

Just thinking out loud...... maybe the relay for the turn or hazard.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited:
just for future reference, if anyone else has problems like this...

I took it into the dealership. My receipt says they replaced the "bulb holder assembly" and the "right rear brake light harness and socket." I think the part numbers were cut off, but it says F5RZ*13K371*A for the "holder asy"

After looking at what they did, i can see that they just cut off the wiring going to the brake light, and simply crimped in another wire and harness.

This seemed strange to me, bc before taking it in, i swapped out the bad socket with the other side of the car and it worked fine. I'm assuming the problem was the black part of the harness that isn't removable.

just for future reference, if anyone else has problems like this...

I took it into the dealership. My receipt says they replaced the "bulb holder assembly" and the "right rear brake light harness and socket." I think the part numbers were cut off, but it says F5RZ*13K371*A for the "holder asy"

After looking at what they did, i can see that they just cut off the wiring going to the brake light, and simply crimped in another wire and harness.

This seemed strange to me, bc before taking it in, i swapped out the bad socket with the other side of the car and it worked fine. I'm assuming the problem was the black part of the harness that isn't removable.

Well I guess you finally fixed it eh.... lol..... How much did it cost you at the dealership to get it fixed? and how long did it take?

Well I guess you finally fixed it eh.... lol..... How much did it cost you at the dealership to get it fixed? and how long did it take?

well theres the biggy...

took about 2 hours of labor i think, $130 for that..
and the parts?...duh duh duh...

two parts, one at 51.19 and another at 26.

Grand total: $223. About what i was expecting with labor though.

well theres the biggy...

took about 2 hours of labor i think, $130 for that..
and the parts?...duh duh duh...

two parts, one at 51.19 and another at 26.

Grand total: $223. About what i was expecting with labor though.

Whoa! thats a lot more than I was expecting, but I should of figured... being a dealership and all.

ive got the same problem

ive got the same problem

98 svt
my left turn signal is fine
i turn the right one on and it flashes real fast like the bulbs blown
bulbs are both new
it works but flashes really fast and if you turn the headlights on it doesnt flash anymore/ you cant see it flashing
ive changed the relay bulb socket bulb and fuse
i hate vehicls inspections it wont pass... it keeps going in and out

Funny bulbs

Funny bulbs

Folks

In my experience with strange behaviour of electrics, specifically bulbs, always suspect the ground wire. Run a wire to a known good ground. 9.99 times out of 10 this will fix your problem.

This is usually much worse in the rust belt, because of the rust.

Andrew

alright parking lights/headlights work
brake lights works all of them
4 ways works slow flashing like normals
the turn signals all work but flash fast
yes ive changed the relay flasher...

If the slip connections that make the circuit for the lamps are dirty or corroded the result would be high resistance at the lamp. This, in turn, would cause more heat at the socket of said lamp. This is certainly a cause for premature failure. Works the same for a home light bulb. Put a 100 watt light bulb into a 60 watt-rated socket and the lamp (bulb) will fail due to excessive heat.

Pull the fuse for the light. Inspect the contacts that deliver electricity to the light bulb. If they are pitted or look like they are covered in white powder use a pencil eraser to give the connections a little "scrubbing". When the connection is clean, retry using a good-quality bulb. Make sure you use a lamp selection guide to ensure you get the correct bulb.

Back