• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Wow, Just drove my new 3.0 Turbo SVT Tonight

crewchiefpro

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a few rambling thoughts after driving my new to me car.

First this thing is out of control fast. 1st and 2nd gear are nearly worthless, no traction what so ever. 3rd gear is better but you better know exactly where you want to go because it compresses time pretty quickly. 4th and 5th gears are just amazing. please do not post about driving at exsessive, unsafe speed on public roads.-mod

Second, Stage 3 clutches are not easy to drive smoothly, but I will get used to it.

Third, when you fill motor mounts you get some annoying vibration. My son's Turbo Contour SVT is so silky smooth with stock motor mounts. Do I send these back to Pole and let him put something else in them? I need to keep in mind there is ZERO wheel hop, so how do I get the best of both worlds?. Just a bit less vibration would be perfect.

Did I say this thing is silly fast? Oh yes I did. It is not even close to my dragster but it is fast for a street car. There is far more drama also. You are never exactly sure in 2nd or 3rd gear which direction it wants to go until it happens. At least with the race car there is some kind of warning....

We should probably have a DO and DON'T section for newbies with Turbos.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats what is so great about them, they surprise :laugh:

and please don't post about driving at excessive, not legal speeds on public roads. thanks

Honestly I don't know how you turbo guys even drive these things...my NA 3L uses every bit of traction available in 1st and 2nd gear, and if it's moist I can't even use full power in third....with a torsen...a turbo seems like a lot of fun and a good way to burn up good tires! I'm jealous:drool:.

Pics can been seen in the For Sales section. Under the Low Mileage Turbo SVT. The Poly is 94 I believe but will need to verify.

I also noticed fuel economy is far worse than a stock one. I wonder why? :shrug::crazy: * I hate these little icons but they seem to explain things well here.

I am quite sure the tire life will be very limited. I have another set of tires that the previous owner gave me, so I should get a year or so out of them.

Crew,

Take a look and see if there is any room for some kind of heim joint / rubber bushing brace between the trans and then subframe.

I had 90xxx mile roll restrictors and the 'street link' which is just what I mentioned above in place of the staboshock and there is little to no wheel hop and its smooth at the same time.

Crew,

Take a look and see if there is any room for some kind of heim joint / rubber bushing brace between the trans and then subframe.

I had 90xxx mile roll restrictors and the 'street link' which is just what I mentioned above in place of the staboshock and there is little to no wheel hop and its smooth at the same time.

Any pics of this link kit? With the turbo piping in there I can't see well. I would love to go back to a less dense mount.

Where are you from by the way. I know the CSVT was located in Northern NJ. Right by me!!!!!!

If your around cant wait to meet ya, Im in the process of getting all my stuff!!!!

- amyn

Another SVT to that area..... WOW, so unfair!

Crew,

Can you post up some sound clips of the BOV going off? I am not sure If I want to get the HKS/Turbonetics/Turbo XS BOV.... Trying to look for rev ups and such!

I am about to order my NPG TURBO KIT soon!

- amyn

I just got done giving this car a little test drive today, I'm the son (Brett), and really there is no term to describe how it feels.:drool:

Right now I have a 2.5 Turbo and when I first got it I thought it was amazing and ridiculous. After driving the 3L Turbo, it almost seems boring. There is so much of a difference between the two.

The Stage 3 clutch takes a bit to get used to, but I sort of liked it compared to my Stage 2. And the short throw shifter is completely different than the stock one. My mind had a hard time adjusting to the shorther throws.

Gas Mileage probably is going to be pretty bad. When I had my stock SVT I could get 20-22 MPG in mostly city driving. My 2.5 Turbo gets about 17 MPG in the same type of driving. But hey, gas is cheap now and its so much fun to drive :cool:.

Side note:
We have the only 2 Turbo Contour's in Central Illinois, atleast that I'm aware of.

Back