• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carbon Fiber IMRC Cover Group Buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Ok all I'm going to give this one last chance. I tried starting it once before on the old forums HERE

This time I'm going to try and get it offered with a simulated carbon fiber as well to help with the cost. Last time we did this the best they could do was lke $167 for 10 orders since the price of carbon fiber went through the roof. I sent another email to Doug at 3G Services to see what they can do for us. So who all would be in on this??

IMGP2628.jpg
[/

wow i can buy a carbon fiber hood for that price. It should be more like 70 dollars.

I'm in if price comes down a little bit.

I had a CF IMRC cover that I sold because it wasn't black CF. After I sold it, I haven't been able to find a new one. :cry:

Im in depending on price and if you can get RED CF again. Also what guarantee do we have that it wont turn yellow like previous shields have.

I'll keep you guys all updated. I hope to have a response come Monday or Tuesday. I'm hoping the price will be lower then last time, but if the real CF is that expensive I'm sure we can get the simulated fiberglass for a lot cheaper. Which you can't tell the difference.

I was looking at a few websites and there is still an international carbon fiber shortage. This was pulled directly from one website:

Last Update: 7/18/06

Carbon Fiber Shortage Update

The carbon fiber shortage which became serious in 2005 has no signs of letting up. Although some uncertified carbon is occasionally available, certified carbon is almost completely taken by Airbus and the US Military.

As a result of lack of fiber, weavers have virtually discontinued specialty products like hybrids. 3K products like the popular 2 x 2 Twill (our #1069) are extremely scarce. Although some 6K product is supposed to be available by autumn 2006, most of that product was sold 6 months in advance.

Shortages often breed innovation and this shortage has resulted in Black Fiberglass. Black Fiberglass is an alternative to carbon twill only in applications which are purely cosmetic. Dashboards, speakers and many other applications will benefit for the long term with Black Fiberglass which should be available indefinitely. It looks exactly like a carbon twill but is simply fiberglass which is woven and dyed to look like carbon.

Of course, Black Fiberglass is significantly less expensive than carbon and prices are expected to come down when it is more widely available. Black Fiberglass is still hard to come by and the first weaving was released in July 2006.

For structural applications where certifications are a necessity, many engineers are designing with S-2 Fiberglass. S-2 is aerospace grade with a fine finish and has outstanding strength properties. It is suitable for many demanding applications. Our #1543, Style 6781 S2 Glass is first quality and is suitable for military certification.

The Problem
The carbon fiber industry was seemingly unprepared for the demand spike caused by both the Pentagon and the commercial aircraft industries. The Pentagon is blamed for more than 350 carbon-epoxy parts on the F-22 Raptor and the developmental Joint Strike Fighter is projected to be between 25 and 30 percent composite by weight. The F22 Stealth fighter, the Blackhawk helicopter, the unmanned predator drone as well as body armor, helmets, holsters and a variety of other military applications are gobbling up carbon fiber as fast as it can be produced.

Additionally, the Boeing 787 Dreamliner is scheduled to start operating in 2008. The enormous commercial jet is half carbon fiber. This direct competitor to Airbus’ dominance in the market is only the beginning of the fight. The Airbus Superjumbo A380 and A350 are also extensively carbon fiber and are expected to fly in 2006 and 2010, respectively.

Perspective
Airbus reportedly ordered over 100 A380’s, each of which uses approximately 70,000 metric tons of carbon fiber. One estimate of the entire sporting goods industry’s usage is 200,000 tons.

The good news is that carbon fiber producers are aggressively addressing increasing their capacities. Toray appears to be gearing up for a 30% increase in production for 2007 and again in 2008. Toho has plans for doubling capacity by 2008 compared to 2003 levels.

The bad news is that demand is growing faster and a few big users are squeezing smaller users, even smaller industries, right out.

To Our Customers:
We apologize to our many customers who have built successful businesses fabricating carbon fiber and hybrid materials in a variety of industries. This shortage is threatening the very existence of many of you. We are honoring our long term customers as best we can.

This has been very harmful to our business as well. We wish each of you success and sincerely hope we are able to earn your business through this difficult time.

However here is the black fiberglass that looks like carbon fiber that I hope they can use.

blackfiberglassev9.jpg

50” Wide, Twill Weave
Black fiberglass is woven to look just like 3K Twill carbon fiber. Of course, it does not have any of the strength properties associated with carbon. Black fiberglass is generally about half the price of carbon and it is an ideal alternative to carbon for cosmetic applications.

Last edited:
from NECO, im in too. I just asked topshop and they told me $200:rolleyes:

I would want this under 75 dollars, but simulated CF is fine. If its real CF, a good price I would say is 120-130. But anyways, im interested in the concept so put me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back