• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I will own a home

If you want off oil its pretty easy to add electric heat floorboards to your house. In the course of 3 weeks i have done this to 4 different houses. Parents in law just couldnt handle the oil costs, plus they are on electric assistance, so this will help out in the long run.But there is always that option. But obviously everything will go up eventually.

Good luck and congrats :) very jealous of your garage, my next house i WILL have one :)

MAtt

Helped replace the tank in my parents house. It wasn't to hard. Hopefully it doesn't have much oil in it. Getting the oil out is the worst part. My parents had about 40 gallons left in theirs. Luckly I had two 22 gallon tanks to put it in. You can also use the oil tank to drop the price of the house get a quote to replace it and get it knocked off the price in final negotiations.

tank was full on monday :blackeye: So I don't know if it has been that way for awhile or if it was just filled.

the mortgage broker I am working with says that I wouldn't want to adjust the sale price of the property. its better to have the seller pay more in at the closing. Or what I plan for now to do is ask them to replace it by closing or have a plan in place to have it done. Figuring that they are not going to agree with that and will have to meet in the middle.

Last edited:
Well it sounds like you will have to have some one come and do it. My parents neighbor had it done. They pump out all the oil in to tanks on your lawn then change the tank and pump it all back in. I think it might have been around $2000. Yea do what the broker said that is what I was thinking. I wish I had done more bargining on my house but oh well.

Congrats on the "new" home , Brian ! It looks like a winner . It's a great feeling , NOT being in rent - all except that feeling at closing of "where the eff did all my money go ??" , lol ! No matter what you figure it's gonna cost , it'll be more .

Congrats on the "new" home , Brian ! It looks like a winner . It's a great feeling , NOT being in rent - all except that feeling at closing of "where the eff did all my money go ??" , lol ! No matter what you figure it's gonna cost , it'll be more .

yeah I am seeing that. but so far I have done well controlling that. the seller assisted closing also helps. but now with a full oil tank that another outlay. but luckly in my good faith mortgage/closing fee estimate there is some room. If closing goes as planned I will only have 2 days of taxes to pay back, but the closing cost estimate is for 15 days of taxes, so that brings it down alittle, or can be used for the full tank of oil, etc.

the moment I get the keys the SVT is being moved into the garage :cool:

Also, one things my parents have always done on a "new" house (my dad was in the military so we moved a lot) is change ALL the locks. Who knows who out there has a key unless you replace them all and hold all the keys yourself.

get them all cut to a single key too.
We have 4 entrances to our house. Having them all work with one key is sooooo convenient.
In our duplex, we had 5 different doors we could go through and every single one had a different key. It sucked.

yup changing the locks was one of the things that I was planning to do. The kitchen door has a weird lock/handle so that maybe interesting to change. front door needs a new handle and a dead bolt also.

I agree about having everything keyed the same, parents did that and it works well.

I have to disagree about getting all keyed the same. If you lose one key, or it is compromised in any fashion, you have to replace or rekey all of your locks.
I'd split the locks up, one key for two entrances, another key for the other two, unless you can rekey the locks yourself.

Speaking of houses, I was working in mine last night. We got a little electric fire place for looks and to help a little bit with heating costs. I didn't like the outlet or the wiring that it was going to be hooked up to, so I went out got a new circuit breaker, a ground fault outlet, and 12-2 wire. We only have a half basement and a crawl space, so I crawled into the crawl space to check out the old wiring etc. :help: The previous owners took short cuts left and right on things, but this took the cake. To be up to code, the wiring needs to be run threw the floor support beams (drill holes etc) or run in conduit the whole way. This guy just kind of had it hanging there.....and daisy chained from place to place. :mad: So it turned from just taking out the old wire that should have run from that outlet and running new stuff, to trying to figure out what is hooked up to what. We got the new stuff hooked up (and in the computer room as well) but now we need to figure out how the power to the upstairs is no longer there. Ahhhhhhhhh the joys of owning a home.

yeah the inspection turned up a number of small things I will need to deal with down the road.

a gfci plug should be installed in the kitchen. there are some plugs that are not grounded and one is wired backwards, all easy fixes. the roof has some patches but no sign of water so that is something to look after. Roof was put on cheap ~10 years ago. so for a 25 year roof it only has about 10 years left. windows need to be recaulked. the bulkhead needs to be raised or the ground regraded. the deck needs some cleaning and care given to it. and so on. just alot of small things. for the most part the major things are in good order.

good luck with everything...any history or sign of water damage in the basement or along the foundation walls?...any unusual settling cracks?

good luck with everything...any history or sign of water damage in the basement or along the foundation walls?...any unusual settling cracks?

no signs of water damage in the basement. there is some evidence of water soaking through the wall in the front of the house but that is most likely because of the gutteres. you can see where the water is just flowing over the gutters and hitting the ground. the soil is very sandy so it drains well but has left some lime, etc visible on the basement wall. luckly there was a humidifier being run and the basement was very dry and there where no add smells. This is the second time I have been over there after rain and the basement was dry both times. I think there was one small crack in the basement floor but nothing major. there was one crack in the living room ceiling also but that isn't un common either.

overall the structure of the house is very strong, it was very well built.

no signs of water damage in the basement. there is some evidence of water soaking through the wall in the front of the house but that is most likely because of the gutteres. you can see where the water is just flowing over the gutters and hitting the ground. the soil is very sandy so it drains well but has left some lime, etc visible on the basement wall. luckly there was a humidifier being run and the basement was very dry and there where no add smells. This is the second time I have been over there after rain and the basement was dry both times. I think there was one small crack in the basement floor but nothing major. there was one crack in the living room ceiling also but that isn't un common either.

overall the structure of the house is very strong, it was very well built.

Did you check out the beams in the basement ceiling.

CONGRADULATIONS!

I was the high bidder for my house as well...so i have my tentative closing february 1st

:)

2 1/2 car garage so the cougar is goin on stands and i'm gettin a daily. maybe an svt or something.

so I take it that its a good thing if the house was appraised at more then what I am paying for it? The appraisal for the mortgage company came back that way. and the insurance company I will use is covering it for almost the full amount I am paying.

so I take it that its a good thing if the house was appraised at more then what I am paying for it? The appraisal for the mortgage company came back that way. and the insurance company I will use is covering it for almost the full amount I am paying.

Yup. Very good, except maybe for property taxes. :laugh:

Back