• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

got a few issues i need resolved before i get the car inspected

trhlz1222

Veteran CEG'er
1. one of my HIDs have been out for about two three months. i cant figure out wats wrong with it. any idea?

2. cruise control stopped working yesterday. i havent had to use it in awhile then yesterday when i tried it wont work. would custom gauge faces or anything have to do with this?

3. ever since i put in a trubendz y-pipe and cat along with a trubendz ss kit with maganflow muffler it has sputtered alot when i try accelerating. for example if im cruising in 5th and try to give it some gas it hesitates and sputters. at the time i put new plugs in it too and their different then the ones i had in before. their fully threaded instead of being like half threaded or whatever.

thanks for the help guys

2. cruise control stopped working yesterday. i havent had to use it in awhile then yesterday when i tried it wont work. would custom gauge faces or anything have to do with this?

Check your throttle body where the throttle and cruise cables attach. It's happened to me where the cable from the cruise box (in the back right corner of the engine bay when looking from in front) has frayed and snapped. A replacement was only $10 at the junkyard.

alright ill check that in the morning. any idea about the other two? the bulb doesnt look blown so i doubt its that

Did you install a specific HID kit?

Also, I had the same "sputtering" when my car was misfiring due to the #2 plug wire not being fully snapped on. It's the plug wire in the center back, so it's nearly impossible to get to. Try installing the correct Autolite Double Platinums (APP764) gapped correctly (0.054"), put some dielectric grease in each of the plug boots, make sure the boots are snapped on securely, and see if that fixes the sputtering.

If the cruise problem does turn out to be the module or cable and you can't pick one up at the JY, I have one. Send me a PM.

alright thanks guys. im about to pull it in the garage and start now. the HID kit is front the group buy on here i believe. i can snap pics for ya if ya need. got them from HolyHollerz

well i figured out two of the three problems. a i have a blown passenger low beam fuse and my cruise control cable did snap. i am guessing the plastic bushing like piece is suppose to be with the cable so the end of it snapped off. now im gonna change the plugs out and do that and see if that helps.

well i got two of the problems taken care of. need to get a new cable for the cs. but the plugs are troubling me. i went ot get new 764s cause i have the 104s in and i used to run 764s and it ran fine and the three places i went didnt carry the 764s or only had 4. and they told me i may not be able to find them cause autolite is going to just the 104s. so im gonna regap all these to make sure their all right still and put some electrice greese in and see if that helps at all.

update: i replaced the fuse for my hids and well i had them working for a little bit then went to put it all back together and the right side stopped working again. checked the fuses checked the bulbs and the balasts or whetever the silver and black box is and those are find. and the stock plug works fine cause when i plug in the silverstar low beam bulbs it works perfect. both hids will work on the left side but when i put either on the right side they dont work.

i went and put silverstars in my low beams cause i had them laying around from before and put the hids on the shelf for now till i can figure them out. but now i have a new problem. my car is shakin like a mofo. i think it is cause my tires are very very bad like they need replacing asap and they just got out of alignment. any idea what it could be? also i just got an engine light on but that will way til i know more about that. looks like i have bad luck with this thing over the past month

great, hopefully thats all it is. and i got the engine light checked out and it was the egr valve and i had it turned off and hasnt come back but if it does im guessing it needs a new gasket or cause one of the bolts wont go in all the way without breaking the bolt so only like half of it is in there. would it be safe to retap that whole hole and use a new bolt of a bigger size or would that be bad?

hey the guy at autozone said it was my egr but not wat was wrong with it. does the egr throw different codes to say why its throwing a code or what would the most obvious thing be with it?

hey the guy at autozone said it was my egr but not wat was wrong with it. does the egr throw different codes to say why its throwing a code or what would the most obvious thing be with it?
What is the exact CEL code?

not sure i can find out for sure tomorrow. thats why i asked if it would throw different codes or if the egr only threw one. ill update ya tomorrow. thanks guys.

alright guys my weekend has been horrible so far. come home to a oil leak on my bike and come to find out the oil pan is stripped and i cant find a self tapping drain plug anywhere around here to fit. then today tryin to get some xmas shopping done i blow out a tire. needless to say about 530 dollars later i got new tires. then on the way home i stopped to pick up more oil for the bike and plugs to finish winterizing it once i can get a new plug and had the cels checked. well now there are two of them. the egr and the other is probably a o2 sensor. heres the codes: P0401 and P0430. what are they and how do i fix em. i replaced my rear upper o2 sensor this past summer i dont have any stock exhaust components so i may need mil eliminators. help me!!!

Back