• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hybrid Questions..

Smokeshow

CEG'er
Been reading forums for I don't know how long... searched hours on end... and hands down, the archives house the majority of the useful info 3.0 swaps...

Here is the situation..

I have a 04 Taurus DOHC V6 motor (shortblock) I picked up for dirty cheap... 0 Miles on it.. still in the crate...

I still have a few questions...

Is there a different thickness head gasket to help with lowering the compression slightly? On a higher mileage motor I should replace the water pump and what else while the motor is out.

I was thinking about changing/checking the clutch, maybe installing an LSD (torsen or quaiffe ... which one??? )Any other tranny related issues/things I should check into???

If I am going to have to port the stock heads to work properly why stop with a minor port, but is a gasket match worth while? Or is time/money better spend on headers?

Last question, on the pistons is there a specific issue with the rings on this motor? Do I need to upgrade the rings while the motor is out if I plan on trying to eventually run boost?

I realize that the CR is not necessarily optimal for boost currently. However, I personally think it is easier to change heads than to change pistons on this motor.

I will not have a boosted motor overnight. But I plan to eventually run boost on this platform. I just don't want to have to redo things. Sorry for the long post, just trying to make the most out of my post and get answers while I have someone's attention... whatever little that maybe since I am not exactly a CEG regular...

Side note, for those wondering, this is going in a 98 ½ CSVT. Thanks for your time and responses..

Last edited:
Been reading forums for I don't know how long... searched hours on end... and hands down, the archives house the majority of the useful info 3.0 swaps...

Here is the situation..

I have a 04 Taurus DOHC V6 motor (shortblock) I picked up for dirty cheap... 0 Miles on it.. still in the crate...

I still have a few questions...

Is there a different thickness head gasket to help with lowering the compression slightly? On a higher mileage motor I should replace the water pump and what else while the motor is out.

I was thinking about changing/checking the clutch, maybe installing an LSD (torsen or quaiffe ... which one??? )Any other tranny related issues/things I should check into???

If I am going to have to port the stock heads to work properly why stop with a minor port, but is a gasket match worth while? Or is time/money better spend on headers?

Last question, on the pistons is there a specific issue with the rings on this motor? Do I need to upgrade the rings while the motor is out if I plan on trying to eventually run boost?

I realize that the CR is not necessarily optimal for boost currently. However, I personally think it is easier to change heads than to change pistons on this motor.

I will have a boosted motor overnight. But I plan to eventually run boost on this platform. I just don't want to have to redo things. Sorry for the long post, just trying to make the most out of my post and get answers while I have someone's attention... whatever little that maybe since I am not exactly a CEG regular...

Side note, for those wondering, this is going in a 98 ½ CSVT. Thanks for your time and responses..

Why are you not going with a full 3L??????? That will take care of your engine questions.

Because he only has a shortblock.

However, it should be known that if you intend to boost the engine you should not use the 2.5 heads because the compression will be unmanagable. About 11.25:1.

You should either find some 01 or newer 3.0 heads and convert them to match the SVT intake manifolds or leave the artificial asperation equipment off.

However, it should be known that if you intend to boost the engine you should not use the 2.5 heads because the compression will be unmanagable. About 11.25:1.

I don't want to hog the thread here but this brings up a few questions in my mind. How much power can a guy expect from running the 3L with the SVT 2.5L heads and intake naturally aspirated? Is it managable on pump gas? Also is it worth it with the known oil starvation issues with the 2.5L heads?

Sell the short block and get a full oval port 3L. $400-700 depending

Yes you can hog port the oil pooling 2.5L heads and get the CR down to around 10.4 but you really want the oval port heads. You can basically ruin the chambers and get it down to 10 to 1. Get the oval heads.

Tom's fully ported hybrid turbo (with headers) made less power then his budget oval port turbo and the oval port used hacked up factory manifolds. When he added the headers it became the 415+ beast Ray drives today. (lucky bastage ;) )

Get the oval port heads.

So I am thinking that you guys want me to get the Oval heads... LOL... How much will a set of heads cost me? I knew about the CR, that is why I asked about different thickness head gaskets. What thickness is the current gaskets? What brand gaskets do most of the boosted guys run?

Where is this $400-700 engine? And will any of them have near 0 miles on them? How much is a 0 Mile shortblock worth currently? I will use the UIM and LIM off the SVT, no matter what combo I go with. I will have to work my way up to a turbo motor this time. I was almost there before but had to sell everything. This time I plan on using a 3.0.

I don't have a ton of money to throw at this thing yet. And I will probably be tackling most of this job with me and mr. chilton... And I thought a shortblock would be the most economical way to go. Am I wrong in this thinking?

So I am thinking that you guys want me to get the Oval heads... LOL... How much will a set of heads cost me? I knew about the CR, that is why I asked about different thickness head gaskets. What thickness is the current gaskets? What brand gaskets do most of the boosted guys run?

You can probably get a set of oval port heads for 100 bux.

I don't know if head gasket brands make a difference. I don't think I've ever seen a blown MLS gasket.

I think that the gaskets are like .050" compressed. Not sure. I have a few gaskets at work. I can measure them tomorrow.

Thanks guys... I will check on a set of heads on Ebay, and Car-part.. and a few other sites...

I plan on tackling this job in the new year... so I want to get my ducks in a row before I get going on this...

Back