• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sidemarker Mirrors...

got bored today... and when i get bored i start looking at what to do next... SO this is what happened...
I had some spare yellow LEDs from an old project so i put some holes in my mirrors... i think it turned out ok...
I didnt have time to wire them up but they are together and on.. Check it out..

CIMG0198.jpg

so to start i drilled holes and pushed in (verysnug) yellow Leds.
CIMG0187.jpg

two parallel with 6 in a series ( to handle the 12v)
CIMG0188.jpg

wire it
CIMG0190.jpg

cover it (it sits ina sealer then coverd with cloth tape)
CIMG0191.jpg

watch it..(they all run together, but look as if some are not because of its angle its shining)

well............. i like the idea. not a bad job actually. its the arrangement of the LEDs i don't like. if u brought them closer together or towards the outer edge of the side mirror, i think it'd look MUCH better.

Ya i thought about maybe going closer but wanted to go with the orig. idea first, I can find these mirror shells all over so i can cut many diff desings as i get bored with them.:rolleyes: so who knows what will come... i am trying to do the lite up "contour" sail ... we shall see when that may come...

OK so here is an idea, you can use a five pin connector that is uesd for the early heated mirrors, assuming that you aren't going to do the heated mirrors too..... LOL

Great idea I had a few thoughts about that but no time to work on it, and since I have heated old style mirrors on my tropic green tour those mirror covers are very special and hard to come by........ but on the 95 now that's doable :laugh:

Can you make them sequential?

PS: nice wheels :cool:

Well im not that great with seq. chips yet, so id have to find someone who is. but ya if i were to add another 6 i could have 3 sets and do a seq thing with them. I think as the parts come in from the yard ill stock some mirror covers up so i can play with them. Oh and yes im looking to do the heated mirrors, everymorning i look at them thinking... man if only...

Ill be wiring them this weekend and get a video shot of it from a walking stance...

You know that Wired is a fellow to keep an eye on!!!

BTW Wired, if you are going to do the heated mirror thing you need to use the whole pre 98 mirror assemblies and of the five wire connectors to them three are the same as you have. The other two are a ground and a wire through the door connector to the defroster switch.

When doing mine I removed the wires from the door connector on a pre 98 and swapped & add them to the 99. Then added the extra wire to the body side of the connector. Along with several spare pigtails for future stuff since it is a PIA to get to and a fellow should just fill it up when you have the chance. Be sure to mark the spares with the pin numbers so you know what is what next time. Adding wires to the door side is simple. JY's are your friend.

my 2 cents,
AF

something kinda similar was done before. but that person stacked the leds at the outside edge of the housing in the openning between the housing and the mirror.

Pic looks like he is making eyelids - atleast thats how i did it... but covered the lens so they werent ruined

ya my house was taken over by women doing christmas cars, not just writing them, but making them, so i ran and hid in the garage. And pulled out fiberglass and the spair headlights and went to town.

Ya LEDs between the cap and mirror i dont think it would look too good. but we shall see whats what this weekend maybe lit up on the car they wont look as good as i thought so ill just have to remake them. We shall see..

ya id like to do the heated mirrors as well add some more pins for future things, and believe me i have more ideas than i can keep up with....

I really should start a list...

Back