• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

interchangability

BrApple

No Life But CEG
got a different question. I wanted to know if anyone can confirm that the gears/shafts from once transmission can directly be swapped to another, both are V6 mtx units.

one has a bad diff and the one with the good diff has a 3rd gear grind. thought is to take the gears/shafts from the one that is good and swap with the one that has the grind but a good diff. would the difference for the 2k+ units cause a problem?

unless the bearings on the ends of the shafts changed i dont think there is really any difference.

every tranny creates their own wear patterns, iv heard that it isnt a good thing to mix used gears

every tranny creates their own wear patterns, iv heard that it isnt a good thing to mix used gears

not going to mix. taking all gears/shafts from one unit and installing in the other case so instead of two mtx's with an issues there is one working one and one that needs to be fixed.

I say just try it and find out. :shrug: I mean, those two trannies are just collecting dust, right? :laugh:

um, this car has had the mtx removed and reinstalled 3 times already for various issues. one more time is more then enough ...

I just want to make sure before doing this tomorrow that it will work and we will not need to do it again a 5th time.

Oh I thought you were referring to two of the transmissions that WEREN'T in the vehicle. I'm sorry I can't keep track of all those stupid things lying around :laugh:

well there was a slight missunderstanding here. I wasn't talking about individual gears but the whole gear set. But I have now been informed, and should have know that the bearings on the shaft all have preloads that should be check and shouldn't just be moved from mtx to mtx case with out checking all measurments and adjusting as needed.

we did it and it worked but the problem we where trying to work around didn't work the way we wanted. what we thought was a diff problem is actually somewhere in the output shaft. which caused the noise we where trying to track down to move with the gear set :troutslap:

Hmmm...my Focus wagon (4F27E automatic) makes a rapid smooth ticking noise that you can clearly hear with the window down but only if you are running next to say concrete wall such as used for barrier at temporary road work. The barrier echoes the noise into window. Noise is when drivetrain is loaded, you drop off the throttle and noise goes away. You can also hear it coming to a slow quiet stop such as in parking lot, there you can hear a slight whine associated with it. I assume it's gear rollover noise in that trans as it is built with an idler type transfer gear that has short support in it, bearing wear will allow that gear to tilt out of plane with the two around it.

As you found out you can swap the shafts, but at the least you should also swap over the respective races that go with each shaft as they wear with there respective roller bearings. If the ticking is in the shafts could be needle bearings.

Back