• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Window Creaking?! LAME!! I Need Your Help

rexxdoggy

Hard-core CEG'er
So my problem is, the driver side window will only go half way down, slowly coming to a stop at mid way, and when going back up, about the last 2 or 3 inches or so, it makes a creaking, scratching sound of some sort. I tried searching, but couldn't come up with anything. My dad and his friend took a look and determined it was possibly from the gear box or one of the cables from the gear box. I don't know. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I've got one doing the exact same thing, only mine makes a horrible grinding sound. Like there is sand in the track and motor. It's been doing it for months. Usually, I can convince the window to go on up. But last month it finally crapped out and stopped halfway. Luckily, I've got a parts car. So the entire window and assembly is getting swapped out today and/or tomorrow. Bizarre timing on your thread man! :crazy: Once I get the bad one out I'll try and figure out what the problem is. If I discover anything useful, I'll let you know.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah, it's basically a grinding sound and exactly how you described it as. It just all of sudden started happening two days ago.

OK. I got my regulator swapped out. Mixed success. The spare out of the parts car worked until I got the door completely reassembled. Then it stopped working. :mad: I started pulling it back apart, only to have it start working again before I got the panel pulled. Put everything back together. Guess what? Yep. Nothing. :mad: :mad: So I pulled it all back apart and messed with it for some time. Pulled the electric motors off both regulators. The replacement had a low spot in it that I assumed was affecting the operation. So I swapped the guts out. Still nothing. I've checked the connector with a meter, and I'm getting voltage when the switch is hit. Just nothing past there. For now I've given up, simply due to a lack of time. I might order a regulator and try again, but since this particular car is destined for sale, I might not. Depends how expensive it is new.

As for pics, I took some but can't upload them just yet. I'll get them posted up later tonight though. It was carnage. If yours is grinding, I can say with certainty you'll need a new one. If not now, then soon.

Back