• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

speaker help

drummer3462

New CEG'er
This has probably been asked before and i browsed the old forum for a solid answer but havent really found it yet. Problem is in the rear speakers. Im building a pretty good system for my 96 contour se v6. Currently i have a Sony cdx-gt300 deck and 4-polk audio db570 5x7's. Yeah the polks are very good but ive saved up close to $400 and think its a good idea to move up to components. Anyone here do a similar upgrade? good noticieable difference? For xmas my parents are taking care of 2 12" subs and an Amp. Since im going for good quality out back im getting top or near top of the line components. What should i do for the rear speakers? anything i can do to help get more sound out of the rear? I'm thinking components up front... leave the polks in the back?

Don't worry too much about the rear speakers. Stick with the Polk's that you have back there now. You'll come to realize that the Contour is a difficult car to get good SQ out of because of the design of the door. Not saying it can't be done, many of us here have accomplished it. Kick panels with a 3 way component setup is the ideal way to go but obviously would require some work. If you plan a fairly simple 2 way component setup, I would personally go with a 6.5" components. You might also want to edead or dynamat the doors which should help some. As far as brands are concerned, the choices are endless although many people on the CEG opt for custom components. If you decide to go this route, there are a few people on here that could recommend some great setups. I took their advice a while back and went with a pair of 7" Vifa's in the front doors and used existing MB Quart tweeters that I had and it sounded very good. I've since changed speakers again but I definitely miss that setup!! If you decide on a set of components that you can buy online or in a store, my first two reasonably priced recommendations would be Infinity & Polk. Good luck

i was just browsing Crutchfield and they have a really great deal on subs right now. Kicker CompVR05CUR124's 12" dual coil 4 ohm , 50-400 rms, $149.99 Buy one get one Free. Definetely thinking about buying these. The fabrication isnt a big factor because if i run into some trouble my father could handle it with ease. So no worries there, im just trying to find the right amp right now. So many damn options i still dont know which one i want. So far with the subs i got 800 peak rms, with the door speakers around 280rms total. Any ideas for the right one.. i got about 275-300 to spend on this amp.

Are you planning on running 2 amps? One for the subs and one for the door speakers? If you're only planning on using 1 amp for the subs, does it have to be new or would you consider used? Ebay is a great source plus I'm partial to old school equiptment. If so, I would be glad to give you some recommendations. Btw, you might want to consider different subs. Those aren't that bad but I think you can do much better for around 200.00 a pair.

Pair those subs up with this old beast and you would be good to go. It may be old, but it's a phenomenal amp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/O-S-PRECISION-P...8QQihZ007QQcategoryZ18796QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Btw, I'm running 2 JL 10W3's "which have the same power ratings as the 12W3's" with the amp listed below. Even though it's only producing a supposed 300 watts RMS "150 per sub" my subs sound great and they certainly don't appear to be underpowered. If you're not familiar with these amps that I listed, I'm sure some of the others on here will confirm that they were some of the best amps Precision Power ever built.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PRECISION-POWER...76QQihZ010QQcategoryZ4950QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lol i wish i had only put one sub in my car. I run 2 12" Rockford DVCs and I cant even get close to what they can do without the car rattling itself to death.

i found what rattles when the bass hits. Its the vents in the rear trunk area. They open once the bass hits and vibrates. I plan on putting tape over it or something. We'll see

The vents should not be making that much noise but the reason that they are opening is because of the air pressure the subs produce when they hit. Not because of vibration. But yea as for having too much I sure did. I used to have 2 15" MTX 7500's pushed by a 1200 watt power acustic amp. I sold the system because it was overly loud. I couldnt get out of my driveway without the rear view ending up it the floor. But I'm considering components as well so what custom stuff were you talking about.

the air vent paly a small roll in the rattle department i 've dropped about $400 and dynomatted the whole trunk rear quarter panels and all. it just makes everything else rattle like fuel door ,exhaust heat shields, spolier ,windshield wippers,ect. anything over 750 rms it to much for the contour.

ebay is the best resource for qualitly audio gear for cheap.

kicker
polk
percision power < worth everypenny anything made after 98' is crap in PPI
pc series were the last of the amps built in the USA
mmats
crossfire
audiocontrol < worth every penny
alpine *

i would stay away from mtx because that tends to fail, .
besides anything over 600 rms your going to need a cap.

one new stlye three ribed cone alpine type r and a power full 500rms @ 2 ohms amp should do the trick. ported or sealed box depend on what kind of music you listen to most often .

ebay is the way to go for sure. if you buy new you just waste your money. you'll never get back what you paid for it new.

Back