• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

One oily engine....diagnosis welcome.

Pole120

Addicted CEG'er
Tore down Ginger's motor this evening, and I'm not empowered by my discoveries. I knew there was an oil leak, which i was told was a valve cover gasket. This appears to me to be more like an oil pan/timing cover/rear man seal/early head gasket failure. The rear bank (with the oil near the exhaust ports) was 15-20 pounds lower in compression from the front....

I'm sad to say if the head gasket is gone i don't see this car as worth saving any more...

Briana001.jpg

rrr009.jpg

rrr008.jpg

rrr007.jpg

rrr006.jpg

rrr005.jpg

rrr004.jpg

rrr012.jpg

rrr011.jpg

Compression leak. Head gasket failure. All the pressure went into the motor and forced the oil past the gaskets.

You'd have to check it out. Have the block and head checked to see if there is anything warped. If it is within limits and can be decked, the machine shop would be able to tell you.

Then again, I could be wrong in my guessinosis. But the lower compression is why I think that. And then all the oil forced from all of the gasket areas.

Or ring failure. The pressure blows by the rings, into the crankcase and out the gaskets.

Last edited:

If you saw the body/underbody of this car you'd understand....the car's only got maybe 2 more years left in it before it deteriorates. I'm not sinking another dime into it....If it was worth saving, i wouldn't be doing what i am....

Hey thats my car on the right in the 3rd and 4th pictures haha.

Josh that car is almost show worthy what are you talking about!!!:laugh:

No but really after seeing what this car is and tearing it apart with josh i think that throwing the towel in at this point is a good idea.

josh with what we talked about the other day you'll make your money back thanks to me haha..:laugh: And get something better, maybe something that can out handle my car :p :D

The guy sprayed the car with no tune with a wet shot BEFORE the MAF. It was throwing lean codes along with a few others when i bought it which were fixed with a newer DPFE sensor...

Thats the cause of the motor leaking oil from everywhere. That thing is about to blow if it already hasnt. Also is that headlight in the background tinted yellow or is it the lighting angle?

Thats the cause of the motor leaking oil from everywhere. That thing is about to blow if it already hasnt. Also is that headlight in the background tinted yellow or is it the lighting angle?

Haha i was waiting for someone to see that. The headlight is something i was messing around with at the shop, its a gunmetel hightowered light sprayed with yellow glass tint. The light looks pretty good but with the HID's that were on the car the lights were green haha

Haha i was waiting for someone to see that. The headlight is something i was messing around with at the shop, its a gunmetel hightowered light sprayed with yellow glass tint. The light looks pretty good but with the HID's that were on the car the lights were green haha

That's not your light, yours is on your car....and since when was it something you were messing around with? Don't be a weener chad or i'm never getting you drunk again. :p

How bad is the chassis's? you should post some nasty pics. Just clean that engine up, put a band aid on it and swap it with the 3L from Chad's car. It'll be fun for a while.

The chassis's not worth a 3L

Need more pics of the headlights :)

Back