• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ok i have to know

24vtom

CEG'er
ok so i just read a thread on here and now im a little confused and don't know if my diagnosis is correct about my mtx v6...
blew something at the track.
here are the symtoms.
-doenst move at all.
-no noises
-wheels spin freely even in gear
- speedo DOES move with rpms
- clutch is engaging
- i had pulled on the axles but didnt notice anything.
- drained fluid and no metal bits came out

what do you think, the clutch WAS grabbing high and fast before this happened. but my boss(mechanic) said that the clutch was engaging because we pulled the plate around the bell housing back and i was looking in as i was in the car and pushing clutch. im confused:crazy:
so is it
-clutch
-diff
-or an axle that i might have overlooked :help::help::help:

If the speedo is working, the transaxle gearset is intact, and the clutch is engaging correctly, and the OUTSIDE of the differential is OK (the ring gear).

So the problem is happening somewhere between the ring gear and the wheels. My diagnosis: the inside of the differential (spider gears) could be shot, or the axle spline or CV joint could be snapped.

Since you found no metal bits in the fluid, the diff MIGHT be okay, but there is a magnet in the tranny case that catches that stuff, so it could just be a coincidence.

For your wallet's sake, I hope it's a broken axle.

allright. another question.
if i had the car up in the air, and both wheels spun freely while in gear, does that rule out a broken axle?

allright. another question.
if i had the car up in the air, and both wheels spun freely while in gear, does that rule out a broken axle?

Why would spinning freely RULE OUT a broken axle? If you're in gear, the wheels should be locked if the motor is off. If they spin, axles are a possibility, but not the only possibility.

One of the axles could be broken inside a boot. Check for tears in the boot and grease coming through.

ok the axles arent broken,so the spider gears on the diff must be smoked. i almost have the tranny out, probly by noon tomarrow. then ill find out for sure

this car isnt as easy to work on as i had first figured.... and there are alot of CRAPPY bolts on the subframe that just like to round right off :mad:

If it is a SINGLE trac differential, not a P-trac (locking type), if BOTH wheels are in the air, car can be in gear and clutch engaged and BOTH wheels will spin, one MUST spin BACKWARDS from the other. Spin one side and go look at other side while doing so. The axles just loop around each other on the spider gears. Perfectly normal. Now if someone HOLDS one wheel, the other one should not turn, if it does, boo hoo time.

If it is a SINGLE trac differential, not a P-trac (locking type), if BOTH wheels are in the air, car can be in gear and clutch engaged and BOTH wheels will spin, one MUST spin BACKWARDS from the other. Spin one side and go look at other side while doing so. The axles just loop around each other on the spider gears. Perfectly normal. Now if someone HOLDS one wheel, the other one should not turn, if it does, boo hoo time.

yea, no, spin one wheel and the other doesnt move. vise versa . i dont have the trans completely out yet, but im putting my money on broken spider gears:rolleyes:

Well durr. Stock MTX-75 plus drag strip = broken trans. How many years have we known this? :troutslap:

i pulled the old clutch and trans today and got the new one in place, just have to button up a few things tomarrow and im done.
THIS WAS THE WORST CAR PROJECT IV EVER DONE lol:crazy:

when i took the trans out, i spun the shift, and i could hear all the pieces of the gears rolling around. haha

i thought about taking pics of it. does anyone care to see the after math? cuz iv not i wont take pics.

This is what my differential looked like. Does this look infected?

2333758169_96e60b3cbc.jpg

I'll agree, the transaxle is about the worst possible thing to work on in this platform.

no pics yet guys, i finished up the tranny today and everything is all set and fine now. i ran into a big problem though, after i got everything together today, i went to start it and the ignition system wasnt working, no start. had fuel but no spark. i found this to be werid, so i started looking at the grounds that i had put back in. after hour of ripping the fuse box apart, i discovered that it was a harness connector on the pass side of the engine comnpartment that was half plugged in, cuz the locking clip had broken off. :confused:
that was fun.

ill pry the old tranny apart tomarrow and try to take sopme pics..

i want to thank locogringo and svt loki for hooking me up with the parts that i needed for this project and FAST. you guys were a big :help:

pretty funny, everything in my tranny looks brand new except for these spiders.... awww i hate spiderssss

S4010032.jpg

S4010033.jpg

CLEAN SPLIT, thats when ur know that ur cool, lol:laugh:

Back