• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

getting shocked

1ggy

New CEG'er
It seems that every time I drive for more than about 10 minutes in my contour, when I get out and touch the car to shut the door I get shocked. Also, in the morning I occasionally get shocked when I touch the ignition. I'm thinking something might be improperly grounded but I figured that if that was the case I would get shocked every time I touched the ignition. Any ideas?

There is nothing in the car that can generate a shock like that other than the ignition coils with the engine running.

What you are feeling is static electricity which shows up more with dry weather, usually a bit warm, and often slightly windy. All cars do it, some a little more than others. They only way to prevent it is to nail a grounding strap to the ground each time you park, or maybe set an anchor.

If you have a carpeted floor mat, change it to a rubber floor mat. That usually helps with the after 10 minutes of driving.

It also depends somewhat on what fabric you are wearing and what shoe materials you have, synthetics might create a worse shock.

Mike

when you get out of the car make sure you touch the door sill with your leg, that should help some.

Use a key and touch metal on the car before you get in (door keyhole) and before you get out (ignition cylinder). That will discharge the build up of static electricity. You'll hear a zap but charge will not come into your body.

I do this same thing when entering the house, store, building, etc. Just touch metal doorknob or door frame with key first.

HAHAHA! I experience the same thing every time I get out of my car but there's a forum on this?? In the TROUBLESHOOTING forum?? Awesome. Static dude, drive naked. It's cheaper than buying floor mats or spray :laugh:

Thanks guys. I figured that was what it was but I've never had it happen to me with any other car I've driven in.

I'd blissfully forgotten about this phenomenon with the SVT actually. The leather didn't give me much charge I guess. Now that it's getting colder and dryer, the grippy cloth seats in my new DD WRX are making for some good door-closing shocks. :blackeye:

Switch to leather seats? I had fabric and used to get zapped all the time; switched to leather and it hardly ever happens.

Its VERY, VERY important to make sure that you discharge that static electicity BEFORE you fill up your gas tank!!!

I've seen quite a few videos where the person got out of the car, started filling their tanks, and the fumes from around the gas nozzle ignited from the static electricity being discharged on the metal handle, fuel door, etc...

Take it for what its worth, the US Postal Service has a Safety video on this very thing... scary stuff!!!

Its VERY, VERY important to make sure that you discharge that static electicity BEFORE you fill up your gas tank!!!

I've seen quite a few videos where the person got out of the car, started filling their tanks, and the fumes from around the gas nozzle ignited from the static electricity being discharged on the metal handle, fuel door, etc...

Take it for what its worth, the US Postal Service has a Safety video on this very thing... scary stuff!!!

I have heard about this also, the Mythbusters talked about it when they where going over cell phone myths with gas. It was determine that those who get in and out of cars while fueling, more so when they don't ground themselves out are at the greatest risk. So becareful if you are one of those people that get back into your car while fueling up (which never many any sense to me but anyway ....)

In the winter I prevent static shock by putting my bare hand on the car's body above the window frame and keeping contact with the metal as I pull myself out. This provides an escape path (ground) for the electrons that are generated as your feet rub the floor and your butt rubs the seat as you get out of your vehicle. You will not feel the charge dissipating this way.

If this is not done, the electrical charge that forms between you and the car's body quickly discharges when you touch the car's body (after exiting) and you can feel it.

When relative humidity is above 80% static charges dissipate better thru the humid air. This is why significant static charges only build up in the winter.

Back