• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mystique brakes

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
Well my stepdad said the brakes on the Mystique went today. He was pulling into the gas station up in Mass. around the area where we got the car from Po, and he went to stop and the pedal went down to the floor. He managed to drive it home by stopping every little while and filling up the fluid.

It's not the original leak that we found before, this major leak was the brake line itself. It rusted right out. Oh well. It's off to the shop tomorrow.

Rear discs are coming soon so we are just going to get the line replaced and nothing else.

It's not the original leak that we found before, this major leak was the brake line itself. It rusted right out. Oh well. It's off to the shop tomorrow.

:shocked: :eek: :(

Holy crap!!! I'm glad the brakes didn't fail in a more dire situation. Every time I got the car washed, I paid for the "undercar wash" option. Methinks I'll get the 28-year-old original brake lines in my T-bird replaced...

One thing that always puzzled me about the brake system on that Mystique was how there was only one reservoir for all four wheels, not two (i.e. one for the front, one for the rear). With all of the other advances in car safety, one would think that the manufacturers would keep a dual braking system. :nonono:

On the plus side, the Mystique is looking pretty good. :laugh:

I just finished installing brand new headlights tonight and threw in some Sylvania Cool Blue bulbs I had laying around. SVT wheels are on and look alot better than the 14" ones that were from the factory.

Now if Bill would just get me the damn license plate bracket!!!

Good thing it wasn't a panic stop. Maybe the master-cyl went or another leak. Usally if you find a rusted line, it's best to just replace the whole run.

Anyone know if the brake lines are the same for all models?

My parts car still has the lines and I'm wondering if I can just swap those in and save some money.

Anyone know if the brake lines are the same for all models?

My parts car still has the lines and I'm wondering if I can just swap those in and save some money.

The metal or rubber? Eitherway brake line shouldn't set ya back too much. And if it's the metal, you would be better with new and bending it your self. It would be hard trying to pull it out of a car in one piece.

Well he took the Mystique to the shop on Saturday and got the line replaced. $198 after tax.

It looks like the original slow leak that was there was actually the brake line, then it finally gave out completely. I think the line was dripping and running down towards the drum making the drum wet before.

I'll confirm it over the next few days though. Hopefully it was just the line because then we can hold out on the disc conversion for a little while.

hmm, when I put the snow tires on I noticed that one rear line was damp at the flex to hard line connection ...

thats not good brian.
sounds like its leaking at the coupling.
that could be bad if not fixed.

thats not good brian.
sounds like its leaking at the coupling.
that could be bad if not fixed.

I need to double check it, i had just gotten the car washed but it didn't seem like it was just water and dirt ... well i also noticed that the brackets holding the abs cable have come free, seems the rivets rusted out ...

Back