• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tranny just went out.

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
So, im debating whether or not to put a new one in.

To get a new tranny, its 250 for that. 200 to get it put in. looking at about 500$ altogether for all that jazz. If i had the space to put it in myself, i would. But living in the city sucks.

So the real question is, spend 500$ to put a new tranny in, or not to.

Ultimately, the decision is my step dad's, but just wanted to see what yall think.

Btw, engine has 184k miles on it.

then you forgot a zero on your number for a new atx .... $2500 would be right as I wouldn't trust a used one for $250. also if you do and its only going to cost you $500 then thats a deal ... assumming the replacment unit is problem free ...

then you forgot a zero on your number for a new atx .... $2500 would be right as I wouldn't trust a used one for $250. also if you do and its only going to cost you $500 then thats a deal ... assumming the replacment unit is problem free ...

Well, i have another question.

The transmission shifts into gear, and hell, i even had it going up to 70MPH bringing it back from the shop. So..i really don't think its the transmission.

What i am understanding now is that it is a wheel bearing that goes in from the axil (i believe) that goes into the tranny. So, im looking on how much it will cost me to get that fixed.

Hopefully it won't be too much, i dont want another damn vehicle haha. This is my 3rd, in the past year :(

Well, i have another question.

The transmission shifts into gear, and hell, i even had it going up to 70MPH bringing it back from the shop. So..i really don't think its the transmission.

What i am understanding now is that it is a wheel bearing that goes in from the axil (i believe) that goes into the tranny. So, im looking on how much it will cost me to get that fixed.

Hopefully it won't be too much, i dont want another damn vehicle haha. This is my 3rd, in the past year :(

Wheel bearing is exactly what it is, it is a bearing that lets the wheel spin on it. So the wheel is on the bearing.

Tell us exactly what happens when you drive it, braking, turning, when it shifts etc etc

When i go faster, it obviously sounds a lot louder. When i turn left, it sounds like it stops.

That is all i can remember.

It is going to another shop today, to see if they can fix it. The shop we took it to yesterday said we might as well replace the tranny. But why do that when it is perfectly good?

When i go faster, it obviously sounds a lot louder. When i turn left, it sounds like it stops.

It is going to another shop today, to see if they can fix it. The shop we took it to yesterday said we might as well replace the tranny. But why do that when it is perfectly good?

And when you turn right the noise increases? That would be the driver's side wheel bearing...

If this is the only problem you have, they were trying to screw you over big time :shocked:

Ya. Tranny shops tried to screw us when all we needed was a fliud change. DON'T EVER TRUST THESE GUYS!!!! Tranny shops think that since they somewhat know what's going on with an automatic transmission and everyone else is afraid of them, that they can just screw us everywhere. Good luck with the car:cool:

I have that exact same problem. I will hopefully be changing the wheel bearing this weekend. It's getting much louder and increasingly embarrassing. Try driving faster, like 70+mph, seems to be less noticeable around 70-80mph.

I have that exact same problem. I will hopefully be changing the wheel bearing this weekend. It's getting much louder and increasingly embarrassing. Try driving faster, like 70+mph, seems to be less noticeable around 70-80mph.

Yea, I actually have a bad wheel bearing too, and I have put 15,000 miles on it :eek:... It seems that it is loudest between 50-60MPH and then trails off on both sides of that...

And when you turn right the noise increases? That would be the driver's side wheel bearing...

If this is the only problem you have, they were trying to screw you over big time :shocked:

Well i went to take it to the shop today, and have it sit there for a week till i get the money (ugh) and my car just started shaking harshly, and sounded like i was running over something.

Threw it in park and im leaving it there.

Will have to get it towed out there, and find a tranny! YAY!

I'm sorry to hear about your trans problems. I agree that there's no way you'll get a reliable replacement transmission for under $2,000. I ran into this last spring. Here's the thread I started about it concerning my experience with two transmission shops:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=31136

It's so difficult to trust transmission shops. For the sake of less expensive repairs and improved gas mileage and performance, my next car will be a stick.

How does the motor run? At 184K, I'd want to be confident that the car will run long enough to justify the expense of the new transmission.

Sorry to mislead yall, but when i say new, i mean im going to buy a used one from a junk yard :S

Sorry to confuse.

And i have had a pretty good run with transmissions so far, out of the junk yard. And it comes with a 60 day warranty that if something goes wrong it it, i get my money back.

The engine is pretty sound, haven't had any real problems with it. Starter went out, i need a water pump, seeing how it leaks a small amount of fluid every now and then.

250 for the tranny with 60 day guarentee, and 200 for labor to put it in.

I think there is a lot of confusion from the OP in here.

Is there an ACTUAL transaxle problem or not? If the only problem you are experiencing is this humming/whirring noise which increases or decreases when you turn then you are NOT having a transaxle problem.

Unless there is a NEW problem that you haven't described, you are buying parts and equipment that you do not need.

I think there is a lot of confusion from the OP in here.

Is there an ACTUAL transaxle problem or not? If the only problem you are experiencing is this humming/whirring noise which increases or decreases when you turn then you are NOT having a transaxle problem.

Unless there is a NEW problem that you haven't described, you are buying parts and equipment that you do not need.

Well i went to take it to the shop today, and have it sit there for a week till i get the money (ugh) and my car just started shaking harshly, and sounded like i was running over something.

Threw it in park and im leaving it there.

Will have to get it towed out there, and find a tranny! YAY!

It sounded like the tranny was grinding against the engine, a mechanic that drove it before it started doing that said something about a "differentral?" (sp)

Supposedly the transmission was going out the whole time, but it just sounded like the wheel bearing was :censored::censored::censored::censored:.

So now my car is stuck in one spot till next week, when i get the new tranny in.

Or the mount failed and its vibrating against the frame..

or the CV joint was failing and got loud and physically noticeable.

etc
etc
et al
and more

Buy a new transmission, then, I guess.

The shop said that would be the best bet, and so have several other sources.

The grinding is just annoying, and it would cost more to just fix the tranny.

Back