• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Button start

peke350

CEG'er
What do I need except for a button (lol) and a relay to make a button start conversion? Which are the wires going to the starter motor and how exactly can the button and the relay be hooked up to these wires. I know of that foglight mod but I dunno where ive seen it, it might answer the question regarding the starter motor wires. Could i do a dual-antitheft mod like this and if so then how? Like in order to start the engine, some would need to hit the high beams, then push the start button (hidden, but accesible). Cool isnt it? :)

I've done a push button start out of necessity on my car. I'll look at it later and tell you how it's done. All you need is three wires and a button. Power, a ground, and a wire going to the starter. I'll even post a picture if you'd like.

I'm sorry. I've been doing a combination of being busy and then slacking. Tomorrow morning I should have the info and pics you need.

Here you have it. There's three places to connect wire into the button. When the circut is closed, run the power to the top of the starter.
DSC02552.jpg

Thanks! But no relay needed? The button might melt whitout a relay...i think, not sure.
p.s. why do i need to run a ground to the button? Doesnt make sense. You got me confused now :)

Your not the one who's confused. I am. You baisicly run a power wire to the starter, and the button closes the connection. The starter is already grounded. It's that simple. Sorry for the confusion.

since you will still have to have the key on anyways, why not just tap into the correct wire coming off the ignition switch inside the cabin? use the button in the same fashion but it can be smaller gauge wire and it will work the starter relay like normal. :shrug::shrug:

That could work, but what fun would be in having a start button if in order for it to work, you would need to turn the ignition key all the way to the start position? Like you normally start the engine. And if you stall the engine, you couldnt just press the button to crank the engine because it wouldnt work, you would need to turn the key off and back on to ignition and actually hold it there while you press the button. I don`t want that. I want a full standalone start button. I just need to find out where the ignition relay is located and rewire it to my button (which will be well hidden btw)...this might seem a bit more complicated than i first thought. I will dump my cd player since its a heavy double din pos, and instead i`ll be fabricating a panel containing a remote switch and volume controller for an amp powering the front speakers and a sub (using an ipod as audio source) and while at it, will do the start button mod, so i have about two weeks to figure it all out, thats when the panel will be done and ill start work.

you wont have to turn the key at all to start the car if it stalls, just leave it in the "run" position and push the button. unless you add in some switches to turn the system to the run position you will have to have the key to keep the car in the "run" since all the button will do is start the car. also, im not sure about your Mondeo but all 98+ contours have PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) which uses a chipped key, so you would either have to use the ignition switch for the run position (acc and run only, not start) or find a way to wire in the key (im not sure exactly how it senses the correct key) and use a switch for the "run" position.

Edit: that may be confusing. If you wire the button to the wire coming from the ignition switch for the "start" position, you would only have to turn the key to the "run" position and push the button. If the car stalled, you would simply leave the key in the "run" position that its in and push the button to restart the car.

also, im not sure about your Mondeo but all 98+ contours have PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) which uses a chipped key, so you would either have to use the ignition switch for the run position (acc and run only, not start) or find a way to wire in the key (im not sure exactly how it senses the correct key) and use a switch for the "run" position.

I was wondering the same thing. How are you getting around the PATS system? The way it works is there is a "halo" that goes around the ignition that interacts with the correct chipped key. No, chip, no start. I know when remote starters are installed they will take one of the programmed ignition keys and cut off the blade of the key and then mount the chip in the column near the PATS halo. I imagine if you have a PATS system in your Mondeo your going to have to do this. Just remember that it totally defeats the anti-theft system.

Edit: that may be confusing. If you wire the button to the wire coming from the ignition switch for the "start" position, you would only have to turn the key to the "run" position and push the button. If the car stalled, you would simply leave the key in the "run" position that its in and push the button to restart the car.
Absolutely right. I was thinking that you meant wiring the button between the key ignition and the starter :) Silly me.
I was wondering the same thing. How are you getting around the PATS system? The way it works is there is a "halo" that goes around the ignition that interacts with the correct chipped key. No, chip, no start. I know when remote starters are installed they will take one of the programmed ignition keys and cut off the blade of the key and then mount the chip in the column near the PATS halo. I imagine if you have a PATS system in your Mondeo your going to have to do this. Just remember that it totally defeats the anti-theft system.
I wont be gettin arround the pats, i`ll still be using the key to power up the accesories, but instead of turning it to start position to crank the engine, i ll push the button instead. The button will be out of sight, (but easily accesible) making a possible theft very difficult. Especially if i combine this with the fog light mod :)

With my car the key stopped starting it. I spent very many hours trying to figure out why. Then I just completly bypassed it with a push button. I didn't even use the existing wires because from start to finish there was a problem somewhere in between.

Ok, well ive been thinking of doing this for a while, I have the perfect button for it im just trying to find the best spot for it. When i do mine ill have to post pix. I was honestly thinking of relocating the key part then putting the button where the key went. But that would mean that i would have to give up the key locked steering wheel....

We shall see when it comes down to doing it.

my friend and i did this on his focus. He baught a button from Pep Boys that said Engine start on it and wired it into the wires from the ignition under the dash. You turn the key to the Run position. Not start where it springs back. Then push the engine start button. If the car were to stall all you half to do is push the button again. Because the car is in Run all the electronics work. The only thing that happens when you turn it to start is the starter kicks in. If i remember correctly my friend didnt even use a relay because there is allready one in the system He just took the wire that was normally the start wire on the IGN and put it to the Switch. It worked great. He hid it behind the steering wheel. You couldnt see it from the drivers seat so it worked great for security. Also when he brought it to Ford they couldnt even figure out how to start it :laugh:. Also when he did this he didnt reconnect it to the ign so if someone did turn the key to start nothing would happen. I did some more reasearch and found the page. Here it is.

http://forums.focaljet.com/interior...-instruction-here.html?highlight=s2000+button

Hope this helps

Back