• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

My new project car

Personally, I'd restore the wheels/tires as close to new looking as possible. Get it all working right with greased up parts.

BUT, you can save the OEM finish a bit and remover some of the overclouding rust (but not all of it) by using grey scotchbrite pad (not green). You can get a sign painter brush and redo some of the original stuff, then sand with the grey pad to partially it back take off to keep the worn look, but have it much more clear. Some sweet Von Dutch style pin striping, maybe some matte clear over the body, maybe an aluminum seat (You can get sheet aluminum from Lowes for a good deal and make your own) and you've got a sweet little kustom pedal car.

Personally, I'd restore the wheels/tires as close to new looking as possible. Get it all working right with greased up parts.

BUT, you can save the OEM finish a bit and remover some of the overclouding rust (but not all of it) by using grey scotchbrite pad (not green). You can get a sign painter brush and redo some of the original stuff, then sand with the grey pad to partially it back take off to keep the worn look, but have it much more clear. Some sweet Von Dutch style pin striping, maybe some matte clear over the body, maybe an aluminum seat (You can get sheet aluminum from Lowes for a good deal and make your own) and you've got a sweet little kustom pedal car.

The thing with pedalcars is that unless it's ultra-rare , it's not necessarily important to keep original paint & such on it . It'll actually be worth MORE being restored . I'm gonna order the original graphics & such right away , to have them , in case they're NOT available in the future . If I go original & choose to , I figure I can always make a mask out of the vinyl graphics & actually spray the stripes on , rather than having vinyl down the sides . They even make repro overlays for the gauges & stuff :cool: . This car will be WAY nicer than the one I used to ride .

I was thinking it would be cool that way, and likely destroy it's value. A lot of the really cool hotrods that I've seen as of late have the original rusty finish, or even recreated rust. Rust can be cool IMHO. :)

that's not fair. i had no pedal car or a powerwheel growing up. powerwheels were the thing when i was little. i would have loved a pedal car. even those plastic ones. heck i guess i still want one. good luck with the restore! looks like fun.

Don't worry - we didn't have any PowerWheels stuff either - it wasn't around yet , lol ! No plastic stuff with rounded corners either - just a banged-up 2nd/3rd/4th-hand , rusty pedal car with nice sharp edges to toughen us up :) . That car went through 3 kids & none of us died ... those were the days .

I like the "weathered look" too . Not sure if I wanna do that to the baby's pedal car though . Hmmm ...

true...kids love bright colors

cool project. I saw some repro pedal cars over this past weekend, they were going for $199 new. I'm interested to hear what you'll have wrapped up in this one.

Back