• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Smog/E-Test Failure Issues...

RacerJason

CEG'er
So, I failed my 1st smog/e-test with a bad o2 at idle reading. Pulled the codes at a shop and went about replacing the DPFE sensor and the EVR solenoid. That eliminated my check engine light (for the first time in the history of 4.5 years of ownership!). I re-tested yesterday afternoon and BAM... failed again(CO and HC ppm figures below). The e-tester says it's either an o2 sensor or the TPS. Thoughts? My 10-day temp sticker expired today too! Should I gamble on it being the TPS, replace it and re-test?!?!? I have no CEL so I'm guessing there are no more codes to yank right? Thank you!

(@ Idle) Pass Reading (Failed)
CO 0.70 4.41
HC ppm 150 401

Don't go wasting money changing parts when you don't know if that is the issue. Wait for the CEL code. Then post the exact code (s) here.

Incidentally, what were the previous codes?

I suspect that the cats were not fully warmed up.

May I also suggest that you first catch up on maintenance. Fuel contaminated oil will hurt a lot. Make sure the air filter is perfect. Run a bottle of injector cleaner through a tank of gas to clean up the injectors. It may even tend to clean up a lazy cat. From those readings I don't think you have an ignition problem, but if the plugs are over 60,000 miles old it would be a good idea to change them.

While burning up the tank of fuel with the injector cleaner, make sure to drive it hard for part of the time. Several 1st gear full throttle blasts and more depending on legal limits and available space. Some heavy load from climbing a grade would help. You want to get the cats HOT while the cleaner is in use.

When you do return for a test, take it out for about a 15 to 30 minute hard drive before the test and get the test run immediately before it cools down.

emmisions

emmisions

heres a tricker treater. pull fuses 4 and 11 before going in for the test. garantee to pass, it did on my dodge truck.

I gave in and took it to the dealership asked them to do a total diagnosis. They called me an hour later saying "First thing we did was test it and... it passed". Unreal. Thanks for the pointers though folks.

Glad you didn't buy a TPS. I doubt it would have any effect at all on emissions. An O2 on the other hand.

Back