• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Modding

302? Its all about that tree-fiddy! I thought chevy 5L were 305s, and fords were 302s, why would yours have a 302, or amI just stupid?

Wannabe, I vote you do a MTX swap and take lots of pics, so I can see how to do it once my MTX :censored::censored::censored::censored:s itself.

A Chevy 302 is a destroked 327-it uses a 283 crank-used for trans-am racing from 67-69
and besides, if you haven't noticed, I don't like to be normal, so a 350 is out of the question
Should I just start a new thread so I don't hijack this one, or what?

The 302 was a VERY powerful, high revving motor for the time. Factory rated at 290, 350+ was more realistic. I've even heard ~400 was more accurate.

Honestly do some suspension, bolt ons and slap a nitrous kit with a small shot. You will be much happier with this. It will behave more like a DD with the power when you want it. This will be more cost effective also.

I disagree, having a turbo DD is just a status thing. Turbo spool is really just awesome.

My suggestion is just go with a pretty small turbo. An Ar.42(ish) from a junkyard would yield a lot of usable torque while still keeping gas mileage reasonable. What are your plans though, I assume a stock block?

I disagree, having a turbo DD is just a status thing. Turbo spool is really just awesome.

My suggestion is just go with a pretty small turbo. An Ar.42(ish) from a junkyard would yield a lot of usable torque while still keeping gas mileage reasonable. What are your plans though, I assume a stock block?

Ya, stock block, maybe pistons/rods 'cause mine are old. I just joined FocalJet to see what else I can get since most CEGers think Zetecs are useless:laugh:

And BTW, I'm not doing this for status. If I was, I'd be using a different car:laugh:

Matt, you want to know why you parents will support you in modding this car but will not let you get something else to work on is because they don't want you to do anything to this car. I know as my parents did the same things. I wanted a different car and they wouldn't support me and help me with the car if I needed it. Then they didn't really support me doing anything to the car either. In the end it worked out much better. If you have money saved, save it! If I didn't have my SE painted, didn't do a 3L, didn't install a turbo, didn't buy my SVT I would already own a home which is what I am saving for now. Modding and just going into college don't go together. You will need that money for bills, etc during college because most don't work while going to school. Do a few simple things and make it a nice dd and save the project and build up of a car until your out of school and really con support yourself.

And I am not saying this becuase its an atx zetec. Hell look what Hector just said and he had one bad ass zetec ....

^This makes too much sense!^:nonono:

Thank you, Brain. I just keep getting carried away:cool:

Simple DD is what I'm going for. But there's a guy on the Jet that is selling a JRSC for a non-CVT Zetec for pretty cheap.....

:laugh:

^This makes too much sense!^:nonono:

there is a reason why I am an engineer ....

^
Thank you, Brain. I just keep getting carried away:cool:

Simple DD is what I'm going for. But there's a guy on the Jet that is selling a JRSC for a non-CVT Zetec for pretty cheap.....

:laugh:

nothing wrong with getting carreid away. Just need to keep everything in perspective.

I bet your not going to be able to afford a new car for the next few years if you needed one. So modding the piss out of your only car might leave you in a tight spot. I relaiable driver is what you really need. Trust me when you ge to college you will see many struggling to scape up money to go out to the bar, go to movies, buy some food, etc. you can be laughing all the way home because you will not have to worry about it if you have money saved.

btw I don't regret modding my se nor buying my SVT ... just hopefully I still can get into a home easily in the next few months with all this mess .... but luckly I was already pre-approved and have great credit and am not getting in over my head in terms of cost ....

Well, good luck to you, Brian. And, as usual, thanks for the help. :cool:

no problem, but if your set on doing all of this you will end up doing it anyway. just good to look at it from another view point. plus why would you want a nice car at college anyway sitting in a parking lot most of the time? its just going to get beat up. Luckly I only got a few dings and had to replace a taillight once ....

Actually, my paint looks GREAT from a few feet back, but the car has endured 2 years of college already. I'm ready for the dings here and there. I think I'm going to PM you and Hector about the SC. Depending on how much effort/ money it will cost me, I'm still considering it. I'm not totally set on these actions, BTW. I'm a pretty well-rounded kid, and I'm capable of changing my mind if a current plan turns out not to work, or just be plain stupid:laugh:

no problem, but if your set on doing all of this you will end up doing it anyway. just good to look at it from another view point. plus why would you want a nice car at college anyway sitting in a parking lot most of the time? its just going to get beat up. Luckly I only got a few dings and had to replace a taillight once ....

EXACTLY! My Y2K car had exactly ONE ding in the entire damn car. After 11 weeks at school, it has little dings here there and everywhere from careless assholes. One asshat was so kind as to give me a 2"+ dent near my tail light. Luckily the next door neighbor does paintless dent repair.

i've been in school for a year and a half so far and havent recieved one dent yet, i guess its just cuz im in the automotive program

i like the idea of building up the Zetec. Great engines in my experience. high revving and decent power stock or slightly modded. couldnt imagine one with a SC or turbo. i'd say get cams, cam gears, udp's, and 10.2:1 compression ratio and ur cranking close to 170 hp.

i've been in school for a year and a half so far and havent recieved one dent yet, i guess its just cuz im in the automotive program

Dude, I go to an automotive SCHOOL, so apparently that doesn't matter. Kettering University, ever heard of it? Yeah, didn't think so, nobody has. It used to be the General Motors Institute.

damn man that sucks. i guess the people at Harrisburg Area Community College have a little more respect. we have a GM ASEP program there, but i'm just in the regular Auto Tech classes.

i like the idea of building up the Zetec. Great engines in my experience. high revving and decent power stock or slightly modded. couldnt imagine one with a SC or turbo. i'd say get cams, cam gears, udp's, and 10.2:1 compression ratio and ur cranking close to 170 hp.

170@ the crank on a Zetec is a whole different story at the wheels with a CD4-E. I'd like to eventually get atleast 150 at the wheels.:cool:

get a SC then, from those hp calculators online, my car is making somewhere between 150-155 fly wheel hp and 118-123 whp. i'd consider my car decently quick.

i think i need to get a dyno. anyone know of one near the harrisburg/ lebanon area to get mine checked/ dyno tuned?

Back