• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake Set-Ups

CruzCorp

CEG'er
My E1 currently has the stock set-up with X-Drilled & Slotted rotors, I am noticing that my rears are creating alot of dust as of late and when this happened in the front earlier this year I had to change the calipers. I have done some extensive researching on brake options for the rear and everything points to swapping the front to the back and put the focus again on the fronts. I have read everything from Cobra Calipers, FSVT calipers and the NPG Upgrade (Which I still don't understand & hope to get an explanation).

Does anyone have pics of their brake mods?

the NPG brake kit is a set of brackets that relocated the stock caliper and bracket further out from the hub so that larger rotors can be fit onto the car.

for rear brakes you can either go NPG or TCE ...

here are pics of the front NPG upgrade

DSC04574.JPG

DSC04572.JPG

Last edited:
I have the same brakes as above and WOW I love them, they stop alot better than csvt brakes, and the braided lines help alot with the squishy peddle feeling.

the NPG brake kit is a set of brackets that relocated the stock caliper and bracket further out from the hub so that larger rotors can be fit onto the car.

for rear brakes you can either go NPG or TCE ...

here are pics of the front NPG upgrade

DSC04574.JPG

DSC04572.JPG

Here's my question about the NPGs Brian, they truely use the stock calipers? and if so, what about the rest of the rotor surface? Wouldn't that mean that the bigger rotor would be more for looks than performance, or does it mean just that, less rotor surface being used by the pads?

BTW, those FSVTs on your car make it hard to look at the caliper... :drool:

Here's my question about the NPGs Brian, they truely use the stock calipers? and if so, what about the rest of the rotor surface? Wouldn't that mean that the bigger rotor would be more for looks than performance, or does it mean just that, less rotor surface being used by the pads?

BTW, those FSVTs on your car make it hard to look at the caliper... :drool:

two things here, yes less of the rotor face will be used since they use a stock caliper. however since you are using a larger rotor you get more torque and therefore stopping power from the brakes while keeping the stock pedal feel.

know how its easier to break a bolt free with a longer wrench and why oten people also use pipes etc to do that? it creates more force with less power needed to do the work. same goes for the brakes, same force applied over a larger distance does more. plus they fit with stock wheels where as the aftermarket brake kits more often then not need 17" wheels.

two things here, yes less of the rotor face will be used since they use a stock caliper. however since you are using a larger rotor you get more torque and therefore stopping power from the brakes while keeping the stock pedal feel.

know how its easier to break a bolt free with a longer wrench and why oten people also use pipes etc to do that? it creates more force with less power needed to do the work. same goes for the brakes, same force applied over a larger distance does more. plus they fit with stock wheels where as the aftermarket brake kits more often then not need 17" wheels.

Gotcha, Thanks again man!
So NPG I will go until I hit the Lotto.

I do like the Baer's, would love to see a pic of that...

Back