• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch questions/concerns - let me know what you think....

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Everything is installed and I am just putting the trans through the gears while the car is running and on the jack stands.
When in neutral & car running every thing is normal and shifts wonderful.
If I push the clutch in and put it into a gear, the wheels start to spin before I let the clutch out. It seems there is no resistance with the TOB or the clutch engage. Does this sound like I didn't bleed the clutch properly?

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks - JOE

sounds like you are correct. what new pieces did you put in it? how did you bleed the clutch? If new slave cylinder or master cylinder you may need a vacuum bleeder to get small trapped bubbles out.

I forgot to say:
1995 3L MTX w/ built trans
Well, the trans is brand new internals: torsen, final drive, etc.. SVT clutch, PP, TOB, and Flywheel.
I had my wife pump the pedal while telling me "down" when she hit the bottom. No air was coming out anymore and the fluid was clear. I told her "on the next down say "hold" when you get to the bottom". She did, and I closed the valve. I did the same steps on the brakes too and they seem to grab ok.

It does sound like the clutch is not fully releasing. Air in the clutch lines is still the most likely cause.

When I bleed the clutch on my car, sometimes it takes a day or two of driving before it starts behaving properly. I don't know why. I would drive it and see how it behaves on the street.

If it doesn't improve, you may need to pull the trans down and see that there is nothing wrong in the clutch itself.

Bled the clutch again, it's good - I didn't want to just leave the Q in the 3L thread because it is a trans question, though I should have known you guys there would have the answer..... :wiener:

My car does that and will move the car - notice it pulling out of parking spots. It is alright - doesn't do it all of the time and my clutch works and hooks excellent after 35K miles of thrashing. Specs in sig - good luck.

mine was doing that and i took my trans out and found three of the four springs in my spec stage3 had released and were binding between the clutch and the flywheel bolts, hence the movement with the clutch pedal depressed. i'm getting a clutchnet.com disc, basically the same thing but the design is WAAAAAYYY better than spec's.

get a clutchnet kevlar. if I get this credit card I'm waiting on, thats what I will run.

anybody know if you can have the pressure plate for these surfaced? I'd like to run a fidanza flywheel, clutchnet kevlar disk, and my sachs pressure plate. no need for a hard clutch pedal here.

PS... best price for a ATB would be cool too, in the instance this card comes through for me.

Back