• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where to mount front plate?

wa2tuff

CEG'er
Well, after about 4 years, I finally got stopped by the locals. I got the warning that I have 5 days to mount the all important front license plate (bull****). Since it's uglier than crap and totally screws up the looks of the front end, I need some advice on where to mount it. It'll be under the front bumper but I'm wondering whether it should be on the same side as the SVT on the elky grille (driver's side) or on the other side for contrast. I'm not likin it in the center. So, what's the verdict?

Living in the south now and that is one thing I dont miss AT ALL! Did the officer say it must be on the bumper? I know I saw Graves did suction cups on the windshield and it looks pretty clean...http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=36166&highlight=bullit
Pic 3.

But if you must mount near the bumper...http://www.therealaustin.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/2007-mitsubishi-evo-ix2.jpg

Left hand side has always looked great!

That suction cup idea is intriguing, but I'm thinking they may say it blocks my view. If I go on the bumper, it'll be tucked under, not on.

I've seen people get creative with L brackets so the frame is actually mounted to the bottom of the bumper, then just use some pipe insulation between the bumper and frame...

Ya i got the same flack from the local pd here... so this is the result.
CIMG0741.jpg

CIMG0742.jpg

Last edited:
I can't tuck the bottom in cause there is a sticker on the lower right of the plate for the county I live in. But I figured out a way to use parts from an after-market license plate hanger. I'll post when I'm done.

Thanks for your pictures WiredMotorSports. I wasn't gonna put it in the middle, but now I'm not sure.

if you follow the link above you will see the 3rd pic i posted ... if you look close you can see i just had to roll the little lip at the edge. Nothing too bad. or you can trim back the tab on the bumper that the clip goes to. but it fits great and has not issues on coming lose. Its pretty tight and looks alright...

Why not just stick it on with some zip ties, show the officer, then take it back off? If you drove around for awhile without it on and never got bothered, then hopefully this is just a one time thing.

Why not just stick it on with some zip ties, show the officer, then take it back off? If you drove around for awhile without it on and never got bothered, then hopefully this is just a one time thing.

Probably should have done that. The original cop says you have 5 days to get it mounted, come back to the station and show up, and you'll be ok. So I show up Wednesday afternoon, go in and there's this fat chick (really FAT chick in uniform) on the other side of the glass. She asks me how I fastened the plate on, I say with screws, and she writes "compliance" on my paper and tells me to keep it (as though looking at the bumper wouldn't be proof enough). As no time did she drag her fat xxx out to take a look. What a waste! Anyway, here's how it turned out.

1222381507.jpg

1222381464.jpg

In the third picture, you can see how I mounted it. The plate has 2 L shaped brackets I got from plate mounting kit, and they are fastened to a thin flat bar. The bar in turn is fastened to the underside of the bumper with 3M double faced tape and a pair of screws, one on each side. Doesn't look too bad, haha. I hate it. My apologies to anyone with ties to cops, but don't they have better things to do?

1222381558.jpg

Looks nice.

Where do you live at in ohio? The cops are dicks around here also about that stuff :S

That would be considered "right" side......
Nice job 2tuff - I didn't like mine either after mounting it but I was just tired of being hassled and have them find more things to get me on.... (tint, no rearview mirror, eyebrow to low, etc..) Does it wiggle around front to back a lot with that small of angles on it?

Digging up an old thread I know, but I was wondering something. As anyone ever gotten hassled by police due to the location of their front plate, ie not being on the bumper? I'm thinking about moving mine down to below the bumper, but don't want any hassle.

Also my plan is to use some bolt stock in combination with some fender washers to mount it to the stock mesh. That shouldn't damage the mesh at all correct? I really don't want to loose the front plate because the mesh broke.

Digging up an old thread I know, but I was wondering something. As anyone ever gotten hassled by police due to the location of their front plate, ie not being on the bumper? I'm thinking about moving mine down to below the bumper, but don't want any hassle.

Also my plan is to use some bolt stock in combination with some fender washers to mount it to the stock mesh. That shouldn't damage the mesh at all correct? I really don't want to loose the front plate because the mesh broke.

I have mine tucked in the lower front mesh, zip ties just holding it in there. Only issue I had was one winter when I took it to the car wash when the zip ties snapped off from the water pressure. I dont think you need to use the bolts and washers, zip ties should be fine :cool:

I start every spring without a front plate, usually by June I have gotten my 'warning' and have to shove it up in the mesh. My last plate I cut the bottom and top off with tin snip so fit in the mesh nice.....but that would probably get some hassle if they ever took a close look.

Back