• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Quaife install.

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
Is it hard to install a quaife yourself?

Im pretty good at working on cars, ive cracked the trans case on my T45.

It looks like you just slide the old one out, take the ring gear off, install it on the new diff and throw it in.

Is it hard to install a quaife yourself?

Im pretty good at working on cars, ive cracked the trans case on my T45.

It looks like you just slide the old one out, take the ring gear off, install it on the new diff and throw it in.

Yup thats all it is, hell do it with hand tools - screwdriver and a big hammer... have a blast...

Here's the how-to from the old forums... But this is for a torsen install. For a quaife unit you NEED to check or have the preload checked to see if it needs shimmed.

With a Torsen, you definitely should at least have it checked although i've never heard of a Torsen needing to be shimmed. When I did mine it didn't need to be shimmed.

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=all&vc=1

Or just hit it with a BFH and hope for the best... :help:

Yup thats all it is, hell do it with hand tools - screwdriver and a big hammer... have a blast...
You sold your car and all I've ever seen is BS posts. I vote you resign your moderator position and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Thanks again for the worthless post D-bag :help:.
-J

The install is not really hard...and I would think pretty to easy using the how-to.

There is essentially no difference in installing a quaife vs torsen. BOTH NEED to have the preload set and both could very well require shimming. If your install does not require shimming or if your 'drop-in' differentail functions correcly, it is pure luck!!!

The install is not really hard...and I would think pretty to easy using the how-to.

There is essentially no difference in installing a quaife vs torsen. BOTH NEED to have the preload set and both could very well require shimming. If your install does not require shimming or if your 'drop-in' differentail functions correcly, it is pure luck!!!

I guess taking it to a trans shop and having them install it wouldnt be a bad idea.

The preloading sounds like it requires a press or something and the shimming... i dunno, sounds like a lot of effort.

i have a quaife in my tranny. no shims were needed. i guess u could call it luck. if u've cracked open ur tranny b4, then u can do it.

You sold your car and all I've ever seen is BS posts. I vote you resign your moderator position and don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Thanks again for the worthless post D-bag :help:.
-J

That is the last I'm going to hear of this. Cut it out guys. All of you.

As for the diff, it will most likely require shims whether you use a torsen or a qualife. The load will need to be checked either way.

Reebs

Thanks so much for the help pud....

All jackassery aside, anyone else got any input?

And yea, i read the torsen install, it seems pretty straight forward to me.

You know I'm just messing with you - a nice way to tell you to search.

Pick up a Torsen it will be easier in the end. And yes, many people just drop their Torsen's in w/ no issue. It is however more than worth it to have your pre loads checked, install new bearings and syncros, etc. etc.

You know I'm just messing with you - a nice way to tell you to search.

Pick up a Torsen it will be easier in the end. And yes, many people just drop their Torsen's in w/ no issue. It is however more than worth it to have your pre loads checked, install new bearings and syncros, etc. etc.

Thanks,

Unfortunatly we already got the quaife, i just went on past knowledge when it seemed like everyone loved the quaife.

Hmmm, bearings and synchros huh...

how much are syncros and bearings? anyone have a price on the whole lot? part numbers? i will be searching for these but in the mean time if anyone is feeling generous :)

Back