• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT down

dacker said:
Question for my understanding, even though we tried jumping it would my bad battery (if that's the problem) still cause the car not to start? I mean, in my mind being jumped should provide enough juice through the system to start it correct?

Yes. I've seen it happen before.

Did you ever try to jump the starter to turn it over? Also what did you see for a voltage drop on the battery when you had the key turned?

Coil pack is definitely not the problem.

As I said before you need to look at everything in the starter circuit...

key switch, battery, starter, wiring, etc.

Wouldn't hurt to take some pictures of the area on the car. Maybe we could see something out of place as well...

Yes. I've seen it happen before.

Did you ever try to jump the starter to turn it over? Also what did you see for a voltage drop on the battery when you had the key turned?

Coil pack is definitely not the problem.

As I said before you need to look at everything in the starter circuit...

key switch, battery, starter, wiring, etc.

Wouldn't hurt to take some pictures of the area on the car. Maybe we could see something out of place as well...

I only saw not even a full volt drop with the key turned, went from something like 12.16 to 11.45.

I did try jumping the starter, same click. I hope to start looking at it tomorrow night, I haven't had a chance all week, which is driving me nuts.

I have a feeling I got a DOA starter.

I'll try to snap some pics also.

dont worry dave i'll give you a hand on her tomorrow! hopfully we can figure it out b4 i leave on my 600 mile journey home:blackeye:

dont worry dave i'll give you a hand on her tomorrow! hopfully we can figure it out b4 i leave on my 600 mile journey home:blackeye:

Wait.. Did I forget to tell you, you can't leave until she's running:laugh:

I'm hoping so, I can't imagine this is anything to difficult! I can't wait for her to be back on the road (I know it's only be a week), cause damn, going from SVT to Windstar:blackeye:

Wait.. Did I forget to tell you, you can't leave until she's running:laugh:

I'm hoping so, I can't imagine this is anything to difficult! I can't wait for her to be back on the road (I know it's only be a week), cause damn, going from SVT to Windstar:blackeye:
you dont want to tell me that lol i need a real vacation. i might end up staying :laugh:

Here are some pics of what's I've got...

The first two, just to confirm that is the trans case ground correct?
DSC00616.jpg

DSC00617.jpg

Just a general of electrical
DSC00618.jpg

Couple close ups of starter\solenoid
DSC00619.jpg

DSC00620.jpg

So far I've checked the ground behind and in front of battery\distribution box.
DSC00621.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

Let me know if there are any grounds I'm missing in the following list
In front of and behind battery\distro box
Under battery tray
Trans case

I guess if I check and clean all the grounds, with no help, it's time to pull the starter again huh?

Update

Update

Ok, so my baby is coming home tonight. Ended up just having to take it to the shop. So heres the deal

Starter had to be replaced only because when we installed it, we must have hit it against something. Per the mechanic the piece of plastic on the solenoid around the engerizing cable was cracked. So new Motorcraft Starter

Main problem, how we missed this originally no idea (or staring at it several times last week myself), but I guess the Positive cable was melted a bit at the battery, so brand new Motorcraft cable also..

Grand total $695.50 ish ($505.50 mech and 190 for the other starter)

Anyway there ya go.

Main problem, how we missed this originally no idea (or staring at it several times last week myself), but I guess the Positive cable was melted a bit at the battery, so brand new Motorcraft cable also..

at the terminal or along the cables? I think its normal the the possitive and negative battery cables melt together some under the battery .... seen it a few times now. but it wasn't enough to cause a problem.

at the terminal or along the cables? I think its normal the the possitive and negative battery cables melt together some under the battery .... seen it a few times now. but it wasn't enough to cause a problem.

He said near the terminal, I'll try to make sure to get all the old parts and take a good close look at them myself.

Look at the third pic down, I'm guessing it has something to do with that one.

Back