• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Reattaching Ding guards? (un-knuaberize)

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
Basically because of this freakin soccer mom, I want to put the ding guards back on the mystique. What chemical adhesive would I use? Should I scrape all the excess off the ding guard first? Do I need to prep the doors for installation? What will last all seasons and won't fall off? Thanks guys.

I think the best solution would be to buy new guards.. I know its not the answer you want to hear but the adhesive will be on them and they will lay flat - mine are sort of goofy lookin after they got pulled off.

I think the best solution would be to buy new guards.. I know its not the answer you want to hear but the adhesive will be on them and they will lay flat - mine are sort of goofy lookin after they got pulled off.

Yeah, when I pulled mine off they were all curled up and I doubt they would have laid flat again.

Just park further out next time.

Yeah, when I pulled mine off they were all curled up and I doubt they would have laid flat again.

Just park further out next time.

if i ever see you say "I totaled my car" I' swear I'll say "well...don't drive next time." Secondly, I think I'll peel off all the old tape, dip in hot water to melt off, or just basically use the double stick tape to reattach. My dad uses double stick tape to attach his vent shades, but next will it be strong enough to hold it to the door?

if i ever see you say "I totaled my car" I' swear I'll say "well...don't drive next time." Secondly, I think I'll peel off all the old tape, dip in hot water to melt off, or just basically use the double stick tape to reattach. My dad uses double stick tape to attach his vent shades, but next will it be strong enough to hold it to the door?

I think you would be better off getting new guards, if you think that will help. Double stick tape? I think you would be better off using RTV or something. I used that to restick my raingutters, worked fine.

Good luck. Don't let the big mean "soccer Mom's" (whatever that means) ding your pretty -Stique.

If I ever see you OVERREACT to a suggestion when you ASKED FOR HELP, I'll come and make all of your snow yellow . . . Freaking Canadians. Freaking hoser. Take off 'eh.

Last edited:
Soccer Mom - A usually white, middle-classed woman. She drives an SUV. Her kids are her "little angels" and are more important than anything or anyone else in the world and deserve to play game demos or do anything else more than everyone. She doesn't let her "little angels" watch TV with "naughty words" such as crap, pussywillow, and pants. Her kids aren't allowed to go on the internet because it's all about sex, raping little children, buying useless crap, and getting scammed. She strictly enforces the ESRB ratings systems; by that I mean makes up her own: EC = 10 and under, E = 11 and up, T and above = "Not in my house" (Movies: PG and under = Only movies you can see). Anything that doesn't say they're Christian is automatically Satanic; this includes 99.998% of music. Her children participate in as many after-school activities as possible and are usually at day camp during the summer.

Soccer moms are usually seen screaming at people, getting into car accidents, and breaking copies of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and refusing to pay for them.
I hate soccer moms

Good Ol Urban Dictionary

Soccer Mom - A usually white, middle-classed woman. She drives an SUV. Her kids are her "little angels" and are more important than anything or anyone else in the world and deserve to play game demos or do anything else more than everyone. She doesn't let her "little angels" watch TV with "naughty words" such as crap, pussywillow, and pants. Her kids aren't allowed to go on the internet because it's all about sex, raping little children, buying useless crap, and getting scammed. She strictly enforces the ESRB ratings systems; by that I mean makes up her own: EC = 10 and under, E = 11 and up, T and above = "Not in my house" (Movies: PG and under = Only movies you can see). Anything that doesn't say they're Christian is automatically Satanic; this includes 99.998% of music. Her children participate in as many after-school activities as possible and are usually at day camp during the summer.

Soccer moms are usually seen screaming at people, getting into car accidents, and breaking copies of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and refusing to pay for them.
I hate soccer moms

Good Ol Urban Dictionary

Urban dictionary? Nice source, ROTFLMBBAO.

OMG this thread totally turned hilarious!

make sure you use 3M adhesive promoter on the strips and the area that you will be reattaching to (before you use the 3M tape)if your honestly going to attempt to put your old strips back on. If you do it wrong your just going to lose one or all on the highway or cause more damage in the end.

Good Luck Grasshopper.

I think you would be better off getting new guards, if you think that will help. Double stick tape? I think you would be better off using RTV or something. I used that to restick my raingutters, worked fine.

Good luck. Don't let the big mean "soccer Mom's" (whatever that means) ding your pretty -Stique.

If I ever see you OVERREACT to a suggestion when you ASKED FOR HELP, I'll come and make all of your snow yellow . . . Freaking Canadians. Freaking hoser. Take off 'eh.

Hey look man, sorry for overreacting to your answer. You were just trying to help, it's just two things, one is that I was really upset because I spent every hard earned penny I had maintaining, detailing, and in just general caring for the car that I worked hard and saved for. It was in GREAT condition especially with a dent free exterior with no scratches. I was angry that some pathetic woman in her big SUV thinking she was bigger than the world has the right to damage someone elses property, especially mine ,who unlike a lot of other people, can't afford to fix the damage. Being a student, especially a broke one coming from a pretty much broke family, having this car in it's great condition was a hard in itself, and to see that damage done to it was almost heartbreaking in a way.

I want to reattach the ding guards, slightly higher than where they were stock (in line with the LS decal) so that it covers that damage which looks like a 2 foot scratch that is also a giant dent or impression.

It's just when you said "hey, the answer to your problem is ...well you shouldn't have parked there, hope that helps." I just lost it a little bit and kinda gave you some negative attitude you didn't deserve as you were just trying to help, so I apologize.

if you saw them hit the car did you make them pay? id be all on that and call the cops if they didnt want to pay. lol

if you saw them hit the car did you make them pay? id be all on that and call the cops if they didnt want to pay. lol

The security cameras were inconclusive because it never looks right at my car, but in the area where it was parked there was a big Durango, that entered the lot, then left the lot quickly (there was plenty of spots), I'm just going to assume that was it, otherwise no nothing else.

Dude -- Sucks about your car. I've had people ding my beater and even though it's not in very good shape, it still pisses me off. I've been so tempted to kick their door just to get even, but I really can't make myself stoop to their level...

Good luck with the ding gaurds. Sounds like you're on to a solution to at least make your car look better. I'll second the 3M Tape. Should work just fine.

Back