• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine isn't running right but no CEL

jrorty

New CEG'er
I have been using my SVT to get me to and from college. On my way back to school on sunday the car started running quite strangely.

Most importantly, the secondaries do not sound or feel like they have been regularly engaging. Also, the car seems to idle at a lower rate than it should-at about 550-600 rpm...shouldn't it idle at 750rpm?

My CEL is not on, but I have a good feeling that something's not right.

What was the fuel level when it happened? When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Even if the CEL is not on, get it read at Advance or Autozone and post the exact codes here.

For your secondaries not opening, sounds like you might have an IMRC linkage problem. Check that first... its the silver box located under the plastic shield that says "Duratec 2.5L". Here is a link that might answer a few questions. http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=738468&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

As for the low idle, try cleaning the IAC valve. Some guys on here claim that cleaning it will solve that problem. I ended up having to replace mine all together.

Last edited:
I was driving around today and the secondaries seemed to continously engage both while reaching and at normal operating temperature. Strange. As soon as possible I will be removing the moisture-trapping plastic piece that covers the IMRC box.

Unfortunately, the car still won't idle like it should. It doesn't stall itself out, but comes very close. Also, I have noticed that the car has become hesitant to start, even with a battery that is less than one year old.

Are these signs telling me to replace my fuel filter and/or give the intake manifold a thorough cleaning...or is it something electrical?
I wasnt able to get to a store/shop to get codes on the SVT pulled, but will do so next time I've got some free time

Thanks for your replies

Back