• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l turbo bottle neck???

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
i was just thinking i should bring this up real quick. but reading through the forums, i noticed that when many ask for parts to upgrade before going FI'd, little or no one is adviced to get an exhaust upgrade. my experience 2 days ago leads me to the conclusion that any turbod tour, especially a 3l one, shouldnt have anything less than a 3" exhaust. apparently, i've been driving around my car with a 2.25" exhaust. i upgraded to a 3inch from trubendz, and the difference is quite remarkable!:drool: remarkable is an understatement actually. prior to the install, i'd had to go through the gears quite quickly, as the car had little else after 5500rpm. now, it pulls so hard and smoothly that even when messing around on the freeway, i've no need for 5th gear, as the car just wants to keep pulling.:cool:. so my question... who's gone FI'd, but still has a smaller exhaust? if i'm wrong on my conclusion, could someone pls tell me? or is an exhaust upgrade a 'needless to say' thing?:laugh:

well I already had put a 2.5" trubendz exhaust on my car, I was kinda thinking ahead as I knew about the turbo kit before I got it. will see what it puts down on the 27th.

I was running stock piping and it had so much power that I never got around to dropping $600 or whatnot on the 3in stainless trubendz kit. Glad you're happy with it! I figured it was cheaper to just up the boost a psi then drop $600 plus. :D

well I already had put a 2.5" trubendz exhaust on my car, I was kinda thinking ahead as I knew about the turbo kit before I got it. will see what it puts down on the 27th.

hey brian. heres a thought 4 ya. after i turned up my boost to 10lbs, the larger dpfe hose kept on blowing off in wot, just like urs did. now, it doesnt come off again when its floored. its breathing much better. upgrading ur exhaust might solve ur problem without clamping down the hose.

I too was wondering this, but i'll be boosting my 2.5 SVT if I go that route. I know the Borla that's currently on the car will have to go. I'm thinking 2.5" piping should be good enough for a boosted 2.5L, but if i'm buying a kit might be worthwhile to just get the 3" kit...

I have had 3" since going FI, even when on the 2.5L, so I do not have much basis of comparison, but I can say it is very noticable when there is a serious power bottleneck.

For me, it was a insufficient intercooler for 3L Turbo, the car wouldn't do much after 3800 RPM or so. Once the secondaries opened up and it needed to breath more air it just didn't have the pull like other turbo tours I had been in.

My dyno graph confirmed this, peak tq 273ft/lbs at around 3450rpms and it just fell down fast after that.

In conclusion, I would have to imagine that you are getting lots of benefit from the better flow. I cannot wait to run mine with the large FMIC. TOMORROW!!!!

I too was wondering this, but i'll be boosting my 2.5 SVT if I go that route. I know the Borla that's currently on the car will have to go. I'm thinking 2.5" piping should be good enough for a boosted 2.5L, but if i'm buying a kit might be worthwhile to just get the 3" kit...

If you are going to be upgrading anyway, no reason to not get the 3". Being boosted I would say its only going to help.

BAD, so you did it huh? What system did you go with? That things got to be a beast now. Any luck with the Brakes?

hey brian. heres a thought 4 ya. after i turned up my boost to 10lbs, the larger dpfe hose kept on blowing off in wot, just like urs did. now, it doesnt come off again when its floored. its breathing much better. upgrading ur exhaust might solve ur problem without clamping down the hose.

already clamped them and they haven't moved at 8 psi ...

don't want to drop the money on another exhaust either ...

if i'm wrong on my conclusion, could someone pls tell me? or is an exhaust upgrade a 'needless to say' thing?:laugh:
You're definitely not wrong. 2.5" piping is the absolute minimum that most experienced FI tuners would recommend... even just for a 4-cylinder.
I can't believe you were running the stock exhaust on a boosted 3L! :blackeye:

The setup I recently received came with a 3" exhaust. But from the dyno's I've seen of n/a with and without the y-pipe attached (good difference), I'd imagine it would be even better with FI. So I'm thinking about putting a cut out on the 2.5" down pipe.

I can't believe you were running the stock exhaust on a boosted 3L! :blackeye:

i know. i cant believe it either:laugh:. thing is, i never knew what size it was. the guy i bought the car from was a ceger also. after selling me the car, i lost touch with him. so i had to go back to the old forums and find out exactly what he had all done to the car. turns out it was a custom 2.25 exhaust:blackeye:. i knew then that it had to be changed. besides, after turning up the boost to 10lbs, i dynoed it again and got only 3hp increase.

BAD, so you did it huh? What system did you go with? That things got to be a beast now. Any luck with the Brakes?

hey evan. yeah i did it. i had to. i went with a trubendz 3" SS kit and highflow cat. ends with two magnaflow mufflers with 4" tips. sonds great. beans requested a clip. i'll go get one. the brakes i havnt gottn around to yet. maybe next week. thanx again:)

I have a Borla on the 2.5 running 7.5 lbs without any problems...:shrug:

i had the 2.5" kit with nitrous... it was like a wind tunnel behind me lol. no cats, no resonator. if i go any bigger with my exhaust, i'll lose power N/A i think .

Back