• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Relocating the radio info please

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
OK so I am relocating the radio to the location of that wonderful little catch all pocket, as some of you have done. I then intend to install the Taurus coin cup holder in the present location of the radio.

I presume that little blue box is the air bag diagonstic unit. That needs to be relocated so what's the best place for it. If it was to be laid flat in that space would there be a problem with heat from the radio?

Thanks for the info

you know the more I think about this I have never heard of anyone needing to move the air bag unit to fit a radio in the lower din location .... factory you could have gotten a cd player there ... I would just move it if you need to ...

Oh really, a CD player, hmmmm. Well I don't know how deep that unit is, but the pioneer I have needs to go back about 1/4 inch more than there is room. Maybe the module is mounted differently when you have that option. Your comment would suggest that heat generation is not a factor though. So thanks, and when I do this (way too cold for the next few days around here) maybe the mounting bracket has other mounting configurations to it. I was thinking of just laying it down flat so it would be underneath the radio and hold it in place with velcro (you know that ailen technology stuff). If there is enough length to the wires. Come to think of it, I have a dash wiring harness stuck away that I can reference for just this sort of thing. Should have thought about that sooner.

I realize that I do have a tendenancy to be overly cautious around anything air bag related ;)

well also note that the later models have the airbag control unit under the parking brake handle, so i would think that it could be moved, just make sure it is secure and you should be ok ...

yeah I only say it once but you could get a premium sound radio with tape and cd, you would get the tape player and a seperate single disk cd plyer in the lower din location ...

Back