• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Failed Smog! Please help!

ValCor

CEG'er
So I failed smog. Too much HO and CO2 during the 15 mph test phase. Car was fully warmed up. I'm throwing the following ODBII codes:

P0340 - CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
P1131 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1151 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2
P0174 - oxygen sensor in bank 2 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust)

The crankshaft position sensor has been replace and a new air filter installed. What the heck do I do now? The dealer wants 140 bucks for a complete diagnostic to find out what's wrong. I don't mind that so much. I was just wondering what to expect and if anyone has any information for me. My ride is a '98 E1 CSVT with 124K miles. Thanks!

Any mods?

It may just be bad O2 sensors - at 124K I wouldn't be surprised. They are easily replaced with a proper O2 socket (it has the cutout for the wire).

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have no mods at all. Forgive my ignorance but by installing new O2 sensors and resetting everything and completing the drive cycle to clear the codes; I should pass smog unless there is something else going on? What's up with the camshaft position sensor? Should I worry about that? Thanks again for all your help. You guys are the best! Oh, and how do I reset the PCM/ECU? Disconnect the battery cable? I do have a ODBII scanner also.

Additional information: Here is what failed!
15 MPH RPM = 1961
%CO2 = 13.8
%O2 = 0.1
HC (PPM) = 84 MAX IS 56 failed
CO2% = 0.78 MAX IS 0.51 failed
NO (PPM) = 35

Failures are in bold type. I passed all at 25 MPH.

According to your codes, your O2s are not working correctly. Your smog test indicated a slightly rich condition in the exhaust, that is high HC's and CO2. Because your O2s are continuosly reading lean the ECU is adding fuel. Replace the 02s and the Cam sensor, clear the codes and do a mix of highway/around town driving over a week and you should be good for your recheck.

According to your codes, your O2s are not working correctly. Your smog test indicated a slightly rich condition in the exhaust, that is high HC's and CO2. Because your O2s are continuosly reading lean the ECU is adding fuel. Replace the 02s and the Cam sensor, clear the codes and do a mix of highway/around town driving over a week and you should be good for your recheck.

Thanks SVTGT350. That is what I was hoping to hear. The car runs great for a 10 year old Ford with almost 125K miles on it. I just need to pass smog and get on with the next 75K miles or so. Lucky me I have a scan tool to pull my codes with. So, instead of paying 150 bucks for a diagnostic. I'll just have the three sensors replaced and hope for the best.

Thanks to everyone else for their helpful advice also.

Replaced two dead O2 sensors and the camshaft position sensor. Car now runs like it did when it was new. Going for smog pretest tomorrow. Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Passed smog and got my tags today! My car is in tune and running great! Thanks again to everyone! NOw to finde some Beemers to smoke! Just kidding, of course.

Change both 02 sensors and reset the PCM/ECU. You will have to follow the Ford ODBII Driving cycle (http://www.obdii.com/drivecycleford.html) to clear the new P1000 you will have after the reset.

Good luck.

Would this clear the P1000 code without going through a full diagnostic check and throwing my p0420 code again? My bank 1 cat is out so i reset the codes and deq(smog) caught me said i had to do a drive cycle first.

Anytime you reset a code you will have to complete a drive cycle to pass smog. This is a built in safegruard to keep drivers from resetting codes and then passing smog. That would be just too easy. I also tried to do it during my first smog test 4 years ago and got caught like you and had to drive around for an hour to complete a drive cycle; but I did pass smog afterwards.

After replacing two upstream O2 sensors and my crankshaft position sensor; my codes vanished, but I still had to complete a drive cycle in order to pass smog, which I did easily.

If you indeed have a bad cat, I don't see how you can pass smog in any scenario other than to bite the bullet and get a new cat installed. In any case, good luck!

Thank you for you time! Im sorry to jack your thread but im desperate! Im going to radio shack to make the mil eliminators.i will post the results.

No problemo. My problem was solved. I hope the MILs help you. Just remember that the smog laws are there to clean the air we breathe and they do that very well. Smog was terrible in the SF Bay area during the 70s; could not even see the foothills. Today the air is much cleaner. Get your car fixed and breathe easier!

yes i agree,im not just trying to run them for the heck of it.My taggs are up and i need some time to do a thousand dollar or more exhaust job.Im from humboldt county and so i appreciate keeping it clean and green

Stupid question:

My 00 SVT was purchased in PA but I'm moving it to Southern CA, where I live now. Is there anything to worry about besides 02 sensors and whatnot?

Thanks!

You have to have all smog equipment installed to pass.....Also, if you have a air intake, it must have a C.A.R.B sticker on it or you fail visual inspection.....C.A.R.B. stands for California Air Resource Board......Pre cats and main cats should be installed.......

You have to have all smog equipment installed to pass.....Also, if you have a air intake, it must have a C.A.R.B sticker on it or you fail visual inspection.....C.A.R.B. stands for California Air Resource Board......Pre cats and main cats should be installed.......

Thank you. All I changed was the KKM air filter. The rest of the car is stock.

I guess when my car gets here, I'll have to look into that or pick up a stock airbox.

That is correct. I believe the AEM(?) one was approved for Cougars, but they'll see that when they run the number. My car also came from out of state, and got failed (visually) for a cone air filter.

In essence, it's illegal to do anything to the car before the cat. This is an oversimplification, but it's easiest to think of it that way when you go for smog. If something's not stock, it needs to look it (which is why I'm going to paint my front header black when we do my 3L install, as it's the only thing that looks out of place on the engine bay).

Back