• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Plug Wire Upgrade

if you really feel the need to change them and want some color. Taylor Thundervolts work great with our cars and do not cause problems like some. but like others said there is no need to upgrade.

I have the Taylor's, based on offering of red color. As long as you get a good set, any brand will do fine. Many like the Autolite's warranty. I have owned the Magnecor's also, not worth the extra $$ IMO.

I made a post about the Taylor Thundervolt plug wires a while back. Search for it.

Edit: I searched for you as I was curious... Click Here

They are really good wires and are some what cheap. Their cost is right up with what a set of the Autolites would run you and they carry the same warranty... so why not?

I would stick with oem--motorcraft, that way they are 100% warrantied and you can replace them as much as you want. :shrug:

every 25k new wires isn't that bad of an idea :laugh:

The dealership will warranty the wires? I've never known one to offer a free replacement on anything. At least with the Duralast wires you can always get a free set swapped out if an autozone is close by.

The dealership will warranty the wires? I've never known one to offer a free replacement on anything. At least with the Duralast wires you can always get a free set swapped out if an autozone is close by.

If you go buy a set of mtorocraft wires from say Murrays auto part store they give you a life time warranty.

There is no "performance" upgrade from wires (or plugs for that matter).
There is an aesthetic upgrade if your want a specific color.

Magnecor, Autolite, & Taylor wires have all been given decent reviews as an aftermarket wire. I agree that the high price of the Magnecor wires is not worth the return and I even run them and love them. They used to be under $100 though. (I paid $80 :p )

As long as the stock wires are still working normally I'd pick a different mod to spend money on. If underhood aesthetics are key for you then pick the color wireset you like and stick with a well used brand. Stay AWAY from gimmicks like resistor or capacitor wires. There are snake oil!!!

^^^^ your reply is mostly right demon, but there are exceptions.

most aftermarket wires are a spiral core style. they are low resistance, and necessary for performance coil packs, or ignition systems. for stock ignition, wires make zero diffrence. most people go about modding their cars all wrong. things like spark upgrades and fuel upgrades are prevenative mods really, or "supporting mods". a N/A contour has an ignition system and fuel system capable of producing to a number higher than one will reach N/A. if you want to make your car better, start off by getting air into the car faster, and out of the car faster. then, get it tuned. don't waste money on plug wires. if you want to play with spark, try different styles of plugs (in the stock heat range, to stay safe) try different plug gaps, etc. if you want a cool color, buy some wire loom or something, save your money for something better like headers or a catback or an intake or something like that. when you reach the day you have a turbo and a 3L and are blowing out spark, then try upgrading the stock stuff when you feel that it's limiting you.

121K on my original wires, but they seem to be fine since I just did spark plugs. Should I consider replacing them? Also, I've never seen Motorcraft wires at any autoparts store...

tune ups are recommended every 100k on our cars.

Most do it sooner, i do mine every 25k, but wires should be changed at 100k for sure.

Back