• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Just to be 100% Safe

I did a trans flush and fill on my mtx75 svt. I used ford honey with just under 2oz of xl7 friction moddifer. Is this safe inside the trans? Warmonger does not seem to think that the cocktail is safe!?! However, it has been know as the "classic cocktail" around ceg!? I dont care that I spent 60 bucks on the blasted fluid! I just want to be as safe as possible with the stock mtx75 trans. I took out a 7k loan for my svt and I want it to last as long as possible without ripping out the motor/trans. Thanks for your help guys. I think I may try to contact terry haines possibly. Any Feedback on this will be awsome!

well i just visitied fordcontour.org and did a search. I have never really went on fordcontour.org. I have always been using contour.org.. Well, I searched under ask terry haines and he does say to use xl7 with syn fluids and use xl3 with dino based oils... Just under two ounces is exactly right too! Warmonger, If terry haines says to use the friction modd. why do you think that its bad? He is a master rebuilder of the mtx75. As of what i have read off of our site at least...

brapple, i did use ford honey...

yeah I caught that, notice I didn't say anything about friction modifier .... you must have read a old post Terry made as he doesn't recomend using friction modifier, just straight honey or royal purple syncromesh/max what ever it is ...

you need to read all the threads about fluids and decide what is best for yourself ... I plan to use the royal purple in my contour but I will stick with atf and friction modifier in my mystique as it has worked well for me, although it isn't the spec fluid anymore ...

....Warmonger, If terry haines says to use the friction modd. why do you think that its bad? He is a master rebuilder of the mtx75. As of what i have read off of our site at least...

I don't really have a good answer to that question that would be any better than what I have already written about. He's the expert, but from my experiences with it I have no confidence in it.

I gave my opinion based on my observations and no one has to follow it.

So do you guys think I should drain it out and refill without xl7? Its weird because even my parts computer at Murray's auto parts says "add 1.8 oz of friction moddifier" I just want what is the best for my transmission. Is the xl7 going to hurt anything? If i did flush it the xl7 a little would still be left inside...

So do you guys think I should drain it out and refill without xl7? Its weird because even my parts computer at Murray's auto parts says "add 1.8 oz of friction moddifier" I just want what is the best for my transmission. Is the xl7 going to hurt anything? If i did flush it the xl7 a little would still be left inside...

Well what I remember from all of the posts on this topic, it was recommended that after you drain the fluid to run ATF for 100-200 miles to clean it out and then flush and fill with the fluid of your choice.

I personally would recommend putting in Torco MTF (synthetic blend) or Torco RTF (fully synthetic). You would need 3 Liters. I have had excellent luck with it thus far, and Warmonger also has faith in this fluid and there have been a handful more of people that have switched to this stuff with good results.

Yep, I loved that stuff. Both products worked very nicely in my transmission. I have pics of the diff after being run with torco MTF for almost two years, the last years of my warranty period and about another year. Great stuff, too bad I didn't switch to it earlier and get the ATF out of my trans before it started to sieze up my shift forkes. :rolleyes:

Back