• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake fluid flush, how much needed?

Silver Bullet

CEG'er
I need to flush my brake fluid. How many liters or ounces of fluid will be required for complete flush, CSVT with ABS and clutch. I searched site and couldn't find anything (not mentioned in the How To post) and not in Ford service manual either.

Reason is will use the ATE Super Blue fluid but can't find locally so I will need to mail order in advance. Don't want to order too much extra as not cheap and next flush I will switch to the ATE amber colored fluid.

i think you would use 2 liters of fluid. i asked this a long time ago and was told about 2 of the larger bottles. i have not done it yet though. i will be soon.

The first time I flushed mine it took about 1 1/2 quarts. It was only a year old, but it has never again been as dirty as it was then. Since then it takes slightly under a quart to do the same thing. I don't do the clutch every time, and when I don't it takes about 3/4 quart.

Thanks Big Jim and JONSVT87 got my answer now. I will order 2 liters for complete flush.

Now to take my own post slightly off topic. Anybody ever install and use the "Speedbleeders" bleeder screws? I like the idea of being able to do the brake bleeding solo as not easy for me to enlist a reliable helper.

Now to take my own post slightly off topic. Anybody ever install and use the "Speedbleeders" bleeder screws? I like the idea of being able to do the brake bleeding solo as not easy for me to enlist a reliable helper.

Speed bleeders are great but I just use the $7 1 man bleeder you can pick up at autozone. The bottle has a check valve which is also handy for emptying out the old fluid without making a mess.

Silver Bullet if you do want to order speedbleeders i have:
-SB1010S M10x1.0

-SB8125L M8x1.25
they are not in my car but thats what i ordered after searching on here. just search "speedbleeders" or "speed bleeders"

I would actually buy one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000BPFB3A/ref=nosim/modsearchcom-20
I have bleed many cars with it and it works great. I used the spleed bleeders once and one stripped on me but it would have worked well other wise.

I actually have one but have never used it because when i first tried it on a car i think that it was leaking and letting air in the tube. but that car i think also needed the master cylinder bled.

any tips on proper use? i do have 4 speed bleeders that will be going on when i do work on my brakes but i would love to use it on the clutch.

SVTJON87,

Yes those are the same P/N's Speedbleeders gave me. Nothing listed for the clutch bleeder. I'm not sure if clutch bleeder screw even removes the same to replace with a speedbleeder.

In any case after researching I will take the advice above and either buy the $7 Autozone or $30 Mity Vac pump instead. Price is about the same as buying 4 speedbleeders and then I can use it for all cars, my clutch and my motorcycle also. I also like the idea that you do it all at the wheel and can easily see when the fluid starts coming out clean. If it doesn't work I just return it for refund and go the other route.

The air is just sucking in from the hose connection. You usually can see where and try and adjust so it is better. As long as it has vacuum it isn't letting air in. I just suck it down until the fluid is clean which usually works out to be about one of the reservoir that is attached to the pump. I have not ended up with spongy brakes from using this. And that has been on some vehicles with new calipers and hoses installed. Good luck.

Back