• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning UIM/LIM Q..

z06killinsbf

CEG'er
I have heard of everyone here using Seafoam to clean out their intakes but, has anyone tried using ATF? I read a post from corner-carvers.com about using ATF in the crankcase to clean sludge and other issues. I was just curious how this would work in comparison to the Seafoam that is mainly used as a maintainace item.

Also, on the subject of Seafoam, I was discussing the clean aspect with my friend who is big into Lexus' and Supras. He told me to pour it in with the car running, shut it off, let it sit for a few moments and then start it back up. Kinda just letting the stuff soak in. Is this how it is normally done. The post I read on here I get the impression that the car is running the whole time. Ideas?

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11051

I have heard of everyone here using Seafoam to clean out their intakes but, has anyone tried using ATF? I read a post from corner-carvers.com about using ATF in the crankcase to clean sludge and other issues. I was just curious how this would work in comparison to the Seafoam that is mainly used as a maintainace item.

Also, on the subject of Seafoam, I was discussing the clean aspect with my friend who is big into Lexus' and Supras. He told me to pour it in with the car running, shut it off, let it sit for a few moments and then start it back up. Kinda just letting the stuff soak in. Is this how it is normally done. The post I read on here I get the impression that the car is running the whole time. Ideas?

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11051

ATF may help clean up the combustion chambers, at least some, but it won't do a thing about the intake manifold. It is not nearly as aggressive cleaner as stuff that is actually made to do that. Don't waste your time.

x2. I've used Berryman's, and it still amazes me how shiny it can get a cruddy looking UIM to look. If you're gonna take all the stuff off, might as well use what ever makes it easier on yourself.

ive heard alot of talk about this berrymans cleaner for the intake manifold....can anyone give me a site or a parts store that carries it.ive called the local places and they havent heard of it....or maybe something that works as well that would be easier to find...i have my uim and lim off and tried finding the berryman but i have had no luck...thanks

i checked the local autozone and they dont carry it...ill check wally world tonight thanks.....i also found there site through googling it...there out of texas...for future reference.......thanks

All Autozones and Walmarts carry Berrymans B12 Chemtool. Look for the white metal bottle with red, white and blue on it. Note that its best used once the piece is off the car and can be scrubbed, not through the intake like seafoam. As for running ATF in the oil to clean, its an old trick that does work but isnt really needed this day and age. Oils are way different than they used to be so they already do a grear job of cleaning and holding crap in suspension until you can drain it out.

National Auto (around here) also carries the Berryman's B12.
It's in the section with the carb/brake cleaners, it's a spray.

Just pull off the intake and do it the old fashion way. The end result is a night and day difference.

The only time i've heard of using ATF other than in the trans was to pour a quart in the gas tank to clean out the EGR system.

Back