• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

S40 walking a 350z, haha

Car has been extremely quiet, tight, rattle free. High quality interior and exterior materials.
Good handling, road comfort.
Until my new exhaust it was so quiet you couldn't hear it running at all ever.

I can vouch for all that. Hers is just a few options above the base, but very nice. Great value for the money. I didnt like the "floating" center dash, but now Im into it. The material they use instead of cloth (not leather, not vinyl) for the seats is very nice too. We took a road trip down to Ocala from Cinci (with me doing 95% of the driving) so Ive gotten a pretty good feel for the car. The seats are a bit flat for my liking but by no means uncomfortable (can I say I love the seats in the SVT?). MPG is excellent (non-turbo).

I will say Ive been trying my hardest to get her to buy some HIDs for those projectors, but its been harder than I thought. :shrug: Seems like a no brainer to me!

They call that material on the seats T-Tec, some new stuff they made up. I just paid extra for the leather and sunroof package....then paid more in time to delete the navigation system. lol
I had to order every option on this thing because they try to stick a bunch of cool options together in expensive packages. So I ended up waiting over 3 months for the damned car.

So you don't like my wheels and tires Todd....yeah, been on my mind for a while. I opted for these so that I could put tires and rims of my choice on later. After a while these have grown on me. And after the SVT and always scraping the ground I find I like have enough ground clearance to almost never worry about it.
So I have to think about it more. Plus its a lot of money to replace them.

Sure, you can come listen to it if you get here in time.
Here's a sound clip off youtube of an evolve exhaust on an S60. Sounds about the same as mine. Sounds louder in person I think though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmD2yY8V5Hs

I've decided to sell it. I'm going to put it up for sale, put the stock one back on and then later assess just what kind of muffler/s I need to improve performance and yet remain moderately quiet.

Last edited:
Dynomax makes mufflers that are very quiet and perform really well. Did you hear my zetec? Probably not, but that's because it has a dynomax. The svt has them too, obviously louder but that's with a bigger engine. With your turbo muffling some of the sound + a dynomax, it'd be pretty quiet.

I'll take a look at dynamax and magnaflow for replacements. Right now I'll just get the turbo manifold built and installed first, then change the stock exhaust as needed to improve the power. I'm sure the stock muffler will eventually be a restriction but before and after on the 3" exhaust feels exactly the same. The butt dyno is saying no more speed just more cooler noise from changing it out. don't get me wrong, the sound is great when I'm racing it. Just living with it every day isn't what I want.

Yeah, I'm glad the S40s can be tuned to make some good power. I stand by what I said in that the S40 is a worthy replacement to the SVT and even though stock it isn't as fast as an Jap import, it can be made fast.

On top of that, in the long run money spent to Volvo = money spent to Ford as well, so some of it comes back home. I admit though that if there wasn't an S40 available I'd be driving a brand new Evo right now. <sigh>
Shoulda woulda coulda.....

Well I fabbed up my new manifold for my S40 today. Mostly...

I have all five cylinders now routed into a collector to feed the T3 flange. Going a heck of a lot easier than it was building custom pipes and manifolds for the SVt though!

Question, any of you Volvo owners out there know if there are gauge pods for the pillars?
I'm gonna need at least a two gauge pod, maybe a 3 gauge pod.

Here's a sound clip off youtube of an evolve exhaust on an S60. Sounds about the same as mine. Sounds louder in person I think though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmD2yY8V5Hs

I really REALLY like the instrument cluster on that S60!
I'm looking forward to what you do with this car War, I've been eyeballing the Volvos for a little bit now. I'm not entirely sure what I'll be replacing my SHO with but it might be an S50 if this thing proves formidable.

Well I fabbed up my new manifold for my S40 today. Mostly...

I have all five cylinders now routed into a collector to feed the T3 flange. Going a heck of a lot easier than it was building custom pipes and manifolds for the SVt though!

Question, any of you Volvo owners out there know if there are gauge pods for the pillars?
I'm gonna need at least a two gauge pod, maybe a 3 gauge pod.

After a miserable long day of working on this i can say I did not get the manifold design right and started over this morning. It is now officially NOT easier than the SVT! lol
Hopefully after a nights sleep it'll be clearer.

Back