• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm Pumped!

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
I just had a bunch of powdercoating done on my bike (it was free since I work at the shop that did it...); and I can't WAIT to have it back together.

Here's a before so you know what I'm working with...
0602081508a.jpg

The teardown... 177 parts removed!:crazy:
0806082203b.jpg

Parts in the oven
0808080901.jpg

Cadmium plated rotors.. Also free
0807080705.jpg

Rotors, grip rings, and hardware
0808081221.jpg

Rims
0812081714.jpg

The grip rings and alot of the hardware are already on the bike... They look awesome! The color is a candy red that POPS in the sunlight. I'm still waiting on the wheels to come back; they're being re-spoked. But since the shop (Sunshine CycleWorks of Colchester, CT) had to order the new spokes due to the special sizing; they've been gone for wo weeks. I will stay black with the spokes, and the nipples will be chrome. I haven't ridden in almost 4 weeks, and it's driving me INSANE!!!

BTW, the edges of the brake rotors were powdered candy red, here's a pic of them when I painted them in the same pattern
rotor1.jpg

ebay:shrug: i'll have basic sanyo 5mp one for sale cheap soon:laugh:
hard to tell,but the pc work looks pretty good.

ebay:shrug: i'll have basic sanyo 5mp one for sale cheap soon:laugh:
hard to tell,but the pc work looks pretty good.
I might be buying enough from you already!

BTW, I should have an answer for you after this weekend, that is if my Dad actually follows through and helps me work on my transmission:rolleyes:

free powdercoating?
share the wealth with NE you bastid! :p

Send me parts, I'll bring them in. I got over 400 dollars of cad plating, masking, and PC for nothing!

But it all came crashing down when I got the quote for wheel spoking...

New nipples and spokes alond with assembly will set me back $120:blackeye:

nipples ...:drool:

now do your frame

I'm actually not going to change the frame color. But i will be doing all of the white pinstriping in red to match everything

navyBRADse said:
what if I send you like... 4 full engines...

Send me a PM if you're actually interested. It has to be a small job; and I can't do this too frequently. If I were you, I'd just send it to Joe. He's does REALLY good work for dirt cheap. I can;t just send part afte part in and not expect to have to start paying

I hope you disassembled your wheels properly. If you just removed one spoke at a time or cut them, you may have some serious problems in the future. The spokes put a lot of tension on the hub and rim. When you remove one spoke at a time, you mess up the tension on the rim and hub. I have seen a rim literally explode after someone put new spokes and hub on their rim. And that wasn't until weeks later when he was riding it out at Sea Otter. The whole rim just blew out and split down the sides like a banana. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.

I hope you disassembled your wheels properly. If you just removed one spoke at a time or cut them, you may have some serious problems in the future. The spokes put a lot of tension on the hub and rim. When you remove one spoke at a time, you mess up the tension on the rim and hub. I have seen a rim literally explode after someone put new spokes and hub on their rim. And that wasn't until weeks later when he was riding it out at Sea Otter. The whole rim just blew out and split down the sides like a banana. Weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Nope. I do things right. Thanks for the tip, though:cool:

If I were you, I'd just send it to Joe. He's does REALLY good work for dirt cheap. I can;t just send part afte part in and not expect to have to start paying

Thanks for the plug! ^^^^^ I really don't make anything on most jobs for you guys. I am here to help not robb your empty wallets.

I don't ride, but this peaked my interest... what's the "right way" to disassemble spoked bike rims?

Keep even tension on all parts of the wheel at all times- Loosen the spokes 1/4 turn at a time. It tokk me almost 4 hours to disassemblw the wheels:blackeye:

Keep even tension on all parts of the wheel at all times- Loosen the spokes 1/4 turn at a time. It tokk me almost 4 hours to disassemblw the wheels:blackeye:

During my short stint into bikes, I thought about doing it myself. That changed quickly.

-Andy

Back