• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NYC 16th/17th

frenchblueC2

amusé par les flatulences
I'll be in NYC next weekend with my husband and some friends, to attend a Yankee game and a Jets game.
We're also going to try to do touristy things in between. Probably just walk around mostly. And EAT of course!

We're trying to plan how much we can cram in, and in what order we should do everything.
So far the hopeful to-do list is pay our respects at WTC site, walk around Times Square, ChinaTown and stop by the Empire State building.
Also possibly that diner from Seinfeld since we'll have a Seinfeld nerd hanging with us. heh

Most of that will have to get crammed in on Saturday after the game (so like 4:00 onward, roughly).
We might be able to do one thing in the morning before heading to the Yankee's game.

Any input you have would be appreciated in the form of flattering comments about your appearance, especially if you're TGO or Shaggy. ;)

If you have the time (which you prolly won't), go see a Broadway show. Definately worth it IMO. Also, you might be interested in seeing the Statue of Liberty, since you'll be closer to the water at the WTC site. Keep in mind though, the WTC site is a really long distance from Times Sqaure.

Kim, the Seinfeld tour thingy is not worth it and overpriced. Also get an unlimited all day MetroCard. Its worth it for the day if you guys want to see lots of touristy things. Make sure to get a subway map, but don't open it on the subway. Damn tourists! ;)

lol thanks.

We were definitely going to get that day pass.
I didn't know there was a Seinfeld tour. Chris just told us he wanted to see that Monk's diner place.

Thanks all for the input. :) You are all fine looking, hunky menz.

If you guys are steak people, Peter Luger's in Brooklyn (only cash, traveller's checks and Peter Luger's card accepted) but it is a bear to get to if you don't have a vehicle. Should also order tomatoes and creamed spinach with the steak.

And reservations are a must, or plan to wait an hour or two at the bar for a table. Sometimes even with reservations, you have to wait about 45 minutes for a table. Yes, it is a favorite haunt of mine whenever I am in NYC.

http://www.peterluger.com/

Last edited:
yeah im planning to go there myself pretty soon. really expensive though, but worth it once in a while.

crap, you can just eat the bread and the sauce and be happy. I've noticed most of the local stores are carrying peter lugers sauce now...i wonder if it's all over the place (they even have it at costco)

mmmm....the bacon :drool:

You are hard-pressed to find any bad food places in NYC. Try to especially go to a good deli, like Carengie or something.

The guy we're going there with is CHEAP. He prefers to eat bar food. But luckily his wife makes decent bank these days, so he'll let himself eat at more decent places.

I'm definitely not worried about where we eat though. I trust it's all good.

We're staying at the Courtyard in Rye, NY, not far from Metro North station (I think that's the name of the train station).

We're driving down after work, so we'll be arriving late Friday night (probably early Saturday morning if you want to get technical).
We have tickets to the 1:00 Yankees game, so we'll probably just sleep in a bit Saturday morning, and head straight to the game after a little breakfast, via public transportation.
After the game is when we're going to attempt the touristy crapola.
So that's probably going to go late into the night.

Most likely sleep in Sunday morning, then go pick up some tailgating supplies, and drive down to the Meadowlands for the 4:15 Jets game.
Then drive straight home after the game.

So honestly there isn't going to be much time for meeting up.
Mike and I will most likely do other NYC trips by ourselves (without the other nutty couple) in the future. Especially more relaxed ones that will allow us to meet up with you locals.
The purpose for this trip is primarily for the games. All the other stuff is filler for the time in between.

We had an awesome weekend, in case any of you cared to hear about it:

TONS of Sox fans at the baseball game. Our section was full of them for some reason. And damn is the 3rd tier steep!
Sox won that game. It was great!
No one hassled us on the train afterward either ;)
The game went a little long, but we still managed to squeeze in everything we wanted to do afterward.

Oh and the B-2 bomber flybye at the game was so friggin sweet!!!! We also saw 3 Blackhawks fly nearby a little later, but no idea why.

We didn't have to wait in much of a line after the game to get on the train. We got an express train too, so we flew downtown. We spent quite a lot of time at WTC, looking at the site and all the pictures, etc. We walked around the entire site, also marvelling at the state of some of the buildings in the area. I saw a program on parallels between 9/11 and Vesuvius yesterday, so after visiting the site, the program really hit me a bit harder than if I had never visited at all. Truly a moving experience.

We then shot over to Chinatown. There was a little festival going on on one of the streets, and it was packed full of people. We didn't enter it, just sorta walked around a bunch of random blocks and just had a look-see. Our friend,Chris, bought a watch for the hell of it.

Then we shot over to Empire State, just to say we were there. Snapped a pic from the ground, and then went to a pizza place a block or two away. OMFG greatest pizza ever! seriously, I'm orgasming now thinking of it.
I only got one slice just to say I had NY pizza, but I wanted the whole pie!!!!! We were saving our appetites for dinner later.

So then we went to Times Square to see the crazy lights. I've never been to an ESPN zone, so we were going to just get a drink and look around, but then decided to put our name in for dinner. The wait was short.
The food was meh. I had a burger and the meat was just sucky. I wasn't expecting much to begin with I guess since we were originally there for the atmosphere, but I still wish it would have tasted better.
We should have just pigged out on pizza instead. hehe

Then we shot over to Grand Central, and got our tickets for the 1:15 commuter rail back to Rye. We zonked out hardcore on the train back.

I forgot to mention - Saturday morning Mike went to check on the GL. He went to disarm the alarm (it came with the car and I hate that thing), and the car went all wonky. Battery was drained because the fog lights were on all night. (Mike isn't used to the location of the fog light switch, and we weren't with him when he parked the car)
I think the foglights burned out too. So we disconnected the battery because the alarm was making a warbled whine, and we left for the Yankee's game.

Our hotel was full of triathletes that were checking out on Sunday, so after asking a ton of them if they had cars with jumper cables, we eventually found some guys from Massachusetts. lol
So jumped the car, let it charge, then went to grab some quick Dunkin Donuts breakfast down the street.
We also hit the supermarket for some beer. I got me a 12 pack of Yuengling, and I was happier than a pig in poop for finding it. I should have bought a large warm pack to bring home too, but I didn't think of it at the time.
So I packed it into the cooler and we drove down to the Meadowlands. We arrived there at 1:45 - we made awesome time, barely any traffic.
Tailgated with some munchies and awesome beer, and then watched a kick ass game - Pats won!
neener!
The food selection at Giants stadium sucks. I pity those fans. No draft beer!! wtf!! It was a really nice stadium though. I enjoyed the layout, the noise levels and the seats were comfortable.

So it was a spectacular weekend. The traffic getting out of the stadium was horrendous.
Worse traffic after a football game we have ever experienced.
It made me regret not bringing the laptop with GPS to find cool reroutes.
oh wells. We were in no rush to get home, but it just kinda sucked.

We got home at 2:30 am, put the rest of the precious beer in the fridge and crashed.

yeah im planning to go there myself pretty soon. really expensive though, but worth it once in a while.

I would say - with my limited experience - S&V is # 1, PL is # 2 and all the rest (Bobby Van and dozens of other steak houses across the city) all share # 3...

I forgot to mention we had the pleasure of walking two blocks through Harlem to get from our train stop to the subway before the Yankees game.
Pretty interesting.

I gotta say, I really love the layout of the city. Using the subway is a piece of cake. There are actual attendants near the entrances to help you too! wtf! One of them kept insisting on helping us buy our Metro card even though we didn't need his help.
You don't see that shiz in Boston - no way.

Everything just makes more sense.
And even when they did a last minute change to our stops on one of our trains, they were very helpful in announcing how we could still get to our destinations.

Also, the police to civilian ratio is astounding. I swear I saw either a police car or uniformed person around nearly every corner.

I'm glad that you had a good time. :cool:
I love NY! Ken could care less but if I had my way we'd go a lot more often.
You've gotta go Allen, it's so worth the trip.

Back