• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

New ATX

Matt R

Hard-core CEG'er
I'm going to put in a rebuilt ATX to replace my current one. To start, I'm trying to figure out what I'll need: a tranny cooler, fluid, and new mounts. Anything else?

First, I know I need 8.8 quarts for a dry fill. But how much extra do I need for the cooler? And second, does anyone have any hints or tips to make swapping trannys go more smoothly?

I'm going to put in a rebuilt ATX to replace my current one. To start, I'm trying to figure out what I'll need: a tranny cooler, fluid, and new mounts. Anything else?

First, I know I need 8.8 quarts for a dry fill. But how much extra do I need for the cooler? And second, does anyone have any hints or tips to make swapping trannys go more smoothly?
8.8 quarts? I thought it was a bit more than that....Check with someone who has a Haynes, I remember seeing it in Haynes. It is VERY specific based on year, I do remember that much. I thought it was over 9 but I could be mistaken. I'd just hate for you to underfill it :blackeye:

My manual actually says 9 quarts. I'm guessing they just rounded up, since official specs seem to say 8.8 quarts.

Look at your manual or dipstick for oil type, should be Mercon. Later models (2000) may use Mercon V. The 2 are not interchangeable in my view. V is synthetic, different clutch disc material used for that. There are oils that claim to cover both specs, but early versions tore up transmissions when wrong type put in. Ford for awhile would not warranty any trans with wrong oil in it. Newer oils are better, but I'm still suspicious. V oil is higher price than Mercon. Any Mercon is old since it's not made anymore, superceded by V now. Ford says now OK to switch, go figure. Oil cooler size will determine oil amount, also extra line length. When filling trans cold, fill to top of indexed mark as trans oil will lower in this trans when the temperature controlled door under side pan opens up. That's backwards from most transmissions where the fluid goes up as trans warms up. Before you put on converter, you can use the pump driveshaft and a drill to pump up the oil pump and pressurize the trans oil passages, I used I believe around 4 quarts or so to start with. Prime up until oil starts exiting around converter seal area, turn it clockwise. Make sure you leave that driveshaft in before you install converter. Put another quart in converter to lube it quick at startup. You may have to monkey around with the converter for a bit to get it all the way in, it MUST be all the way in or major damage is on the way.

All Ford applications that previously required Mercon have been superceded to now use Mercon V. If you still have regular Mercon, use it, otherwise, use the V.

There's no such thing as "Mercon H".

Make certain you also replace the TC.

Steve

I'm putting Mobil 1 in... $5.78 a quart here, but what's $60 or so compared to a grand for a new tranny? Trans cooler is the standard Hayden 404, so what am I looking at for extra fluid for that thing? A quart? Quarter of a quart?

You are right about that Mercon H thing. I memorized that a LONG time ago as to keep F and Mercon (before V) separate in my head, so not to damage cars. There is a type H spec, probably M2C166H, for a fluid that was used on C-5. Mercon or Mercon Dexron III was a suitable substitute for that fluid. Maybe I picked up the idea when seeing back then a can of fluid marked usable for both. Even the internet and fluid makers seem confused about this, some older oil maker product postings call it the same thing. Oil should be Mercon or if V then the newest you can get to avoid that older stuff. If you go into a store with dust all over the V oil bottles, I wouldn't buy that. I changed the post. I need to quit calling it that. Thanks.

cheap guy here

cheap guy here

What are you doing with your car that you need a trans cooler for. Its alot of money and may not buy you much. After all you live in the great white north so at least 9 months of the year you will have no need for the cooler.

As for the TC replacement, how lucky do you feel? Didn't replace mine, just emptied it out as best I could.

New mounts? Was your old trans laying on the subframe or did it have clearance? If you had clearance, no real need to replace the trans mounts.

More than 10 k miles, often towing my murdercycle on a trailer to go riding in the desert. No cooler no problem.

If I cared more about the car, I'd get alot more excited about the water temp gage getting near the hot band on the long mountain passes than overheating the trans.

I know that some autos did have an overheating problem, but by your year the issue was old news.

And with a 4 cylinder its not like you can really expect to generate enough load on the trans to overheat it any way.

There has been plenty of issues with heat on the CD4E. I'd rather not risk loosing another transmission, and another $1800, over a $40 cooler.

'98 model manual recommends a cooler if you tow, also max speed of only 45 mph. I personally would not rather tow with a 4 cylinder anyway, even a small load. You have no extra power with a 4 and the trans does not have the extra torque capacity a 6 trans does. Used to get certain people at garage that always complained about premature engine wear, motors dead by 70-90K miles. When you went into further detail they would tell you they towed a lot. Those motors would be so worn they couldn't be bored in many cases. The extra weight you're pulling is what generates more load on engine/trans. Better when towing ALWAYS to have the bigger engine. Not saying you can't do it, just that it will lug the smaller motor down more because it has no excess of torque. Zetec makes 130 hp, maybe that's why Ford caved in to towing in manual. Tempo manuals I have say NO TOWING at all, those fours only made 100 hp. Not enuff ummph.

If you replace converter, have a look at your old one around the snout that pilots in crankshaft. There may be a letter stamped there that tells which converter to use. My '98 zetec was a letter "A". Compare to the new one.

What are you doing with your car that you need a trans cooler for. Its alot of money and may not buy you much. After all you live in the great white north so at least 9 months of the year you will have no need for the cooler.

As for the TC replacement, how lucky do you feel? Didn't replace mine, just emptied it out as best I could.

New mounts? Was your old trans laying on the subframe or did it have clearance? If you had clearance, no real need to replace the trans mounts.

More than 10 k miles, often towing my murdercycle on a trailer to go riding in the desert. No cooler no problem.

If I cared more about the car, I'd get alot more excited about the water temp gage getting near the hot band on the long mountain passes than overheating the trans.

I know that some autos did have an overheating problem, but by your year the issue was old news.

And with a 4 cylinder its not like you can really expect to generate enough load on the trans to overheat it any way.
I disregarded this ENTIRE post. Refuting installing a cooler on the ATX is retarded. Install the effing cooler.

I disregarded this ENTIRE post. Refuting installing a cooler on the ATX is retarded. Install the effing cooler.

+1. the atx in this vehicle is known to run hot. an atx cooler is a very worth while investment and should be the first thing done after the fluid id changed if the car was picked up used. that along with 30k or less fluid changes will greatly prolog the life of the atx.

that and they are not that expensive either ...

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...sults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=700+115

cheap insurance for ones atx

Back