• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fog Light Bulb Replacement?

waddsn1060

New CEG'er
One of my fogs just burnt out and my brother (who has the exact same car) was told that you cannot replace the fog light bulbs without removing the bumper.

Is this true? How do you replace the bulbs if you don't need to remove the bumper?

you don't have to remove the bumper. have you looked yet? if you have the air dam then there are panels in it that you can reach through to get to the fog lamp, otherwise remove that and its really easy.

Haven't had a chance to look at it yet, happened last night. Wanted to ask the question in case I needed to take off the whole bumper.

Thanks for the help!

In case you don't know, 893 is the part number. If you want a higher wattage bulb, 885 works as well, but you'll want to replace both to match.

Don't bother using the access holes. It's much easier to just drop the air dam down. It's approx. 8 screws. It saves the trouble of trying to shove your hand in a hole that doesn't even line up with the fogs. My arms were bright red with a rash from the plastic rubbing against my arm trying to get my hand in there to undo the bulb and connector.

I thought I heard something about the 885 being too hot and melting the lens/housing. Is this true?

i think that it depends on the buld. I had some 893 silverstars melt my fog lamps ... but having them on for 14 hours straight may have helped that ...

anyway they had a point on the bulb where the GE bulbs don't ...

i believe they where fine on my SVT for a long time. but when I started using them all the time they started to melt the lens alittle. so when one burned out I went back to the 893 bulb.

I don't remember if you have to remove the fog light assembly, on the stock fog lights, to replace the bulb. If you do, you can easily access one of the screws (the one on the bottom of the assembly) through the front of the bumper. Tilt the fog light enough to get a wrench in there. The other screw is accessible after you remove the air dam.

(I have PIAA driving lights and I do have to remove the entire assembly to replace the bulbs.)

Back