• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

High Beam to low conversion

yomanwill

CEG'er
I keep seeing mentions and references to it, but can't seem to find it.

Something about the silverstar 9005, and cutting tabs?

1995 Ford Contour Gl
2.0L

get the lights and try plugging them into the low beam harness you will see what is being talked about .... iirc the 9006 lights have one alignment tab for the bulb and the 9005 have two, just remove on the light of the connector to make it plug in ....

ahhh, i see it...that looks like a real pain

hmm, well I have 3 Bulbs sitting in front of me

all Sylvania's

siverstar 9006 ST
(stock replacements) 9006 hb4
(stock replacements) 9005 hb3

the 9005 and the 9006 look similar, but the 9005 seems to have a smaller rubber seal, is that going to be a problem?

Yep, real easy. Had mine on for quite awhile now. Heres a pic on my Cardomain page.

2248555_13_full.jpg

i had some 80Watt 9006 bulb on there and well i they still sucked. i put crappy 9005s in and holly crap! i got good lights now. i did have to re-aim my leadlamps.

Ok, so I've said it before on the old forums and I confirmed it again last night. There is NO need at all to cut the tabs on the bulbs to get a 9005 into a 9006 socket. Wiggle it around, drop a couple tabs in first, rotate, then the other will slip in. I don't know why everyone is cutting. :shrug:

Ok, so I've said it before on the old forums and I confirmed it again last night. There is NO need at all to cut the tabs on the bulbs to get a 9005 into a 9006 socket. Wiggle it around, drop a couple tabs in first, rotate, then the other will slip in. I don't know why everyone is cutting. :shrug:

not talking about getting the light bulb into the light, the harness is keyed for the lights, you need to modify the light or the harness to swap the lights ... your right with alittle wiggling around you can get the high beam bulbs in the low beam location

All you're doing is shaving the tabs off the inside of the lightbulb socket (not the socket on the car's wiring , BTW) - not performing open-heart surgery . No sense shoving it in there without shaving the tabs , it's soooooo easy (and reversable) .

not talking about getting the light bulb into the light, the harness is keyed for the lights, you need to modify the light or the harness to swap the lights ... your right with alittle wiggling around you can get the high beam bulbs in the low beam location

Ok, well for both it fits with no cutting. I was able to plug the socket right onto the bulb with no problem. Slipped on tighter than it would with the correct bulb but still fit just fine. :shrug:

so no one has had any problems with melting? I want to do this too, but havent had my low beams go out yet. NO issues with blinding other drivers either? I know you could adjust them if the were too high, but just thinking you wouldnt eant to end up with some really bright fog lights.

so no one has had any problems with melting? I want to do this too, but havent had my low beams go out yet. NO issues with blinding other drivers either? I know you could adjust them if the were too high, but just thinking you wouldnt eant to end up with some really bright fog lights.

as far as blinding other drivers you may have to reaim your lights like i did. but after i did that noone has flashed at me so. no cops eather.

If you've got the bulbs set into the housings correctly , you shouldn't have to aim anything - providing the light housings were aimed correctly before . It's just a bulb-swap . The low beam housing hasn't changed at all & is still in correct bias with the built-in aimers (or external aimers , if you've got access to 'em) . The fact that they're "high beam" bulbs doesn't change the aim . As far as melting - many , many of us have done the high-low swap with zero melting issues .

I'm just curious have any of you looked at the back side of your light switch? When I changed bulbs to high wattage bulbs in my 94 SHO my light switch plug heated up enough to melt. I would imagine theres a relay for the bulbs, but maybe not. Just curious.

No melting issue if you stick to silver star bulbs you'll be fine, since it has the same wattage as a low beam. Any higher wattage (60w+, not sure) you might risk melting the lens or harness.

Re-aim just in case.

Back